Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collard Greens

Posted by jill2761 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 12:16

We like cooked greens. I have a lot of collard greens right now. I usually cook a big batch at a time, and freeze the remainder in pints. My freezer is full, plus I like shelf stable canned goods. I also like the taste and texture of canned collards, although I know the recommendation is that freezer is better. I canned some a couple of years ago, and don't remember the method I used, but it would have been from the standard reliable sources. I was happy with the outcome.

Here's the question...

When I cook greens (not for canning), I simmer them for a long time. I cook them in pork stock or 50/50 water and stock and add some ham pieces to the pot. I season them with garlic, chopped onions, salt, pepper, etc. Obviously, this isn't along the guidelines of home canned greens, but is there any reason I can't can them like this using the soup recipe of 50% solid to 50% liquid? Obviously I would cut down the cooking time to take the canning process time into account.

Any other suggestions of canning the greens? Does anyone know of another reliable, safe recipe for canning the greens in stock (without the onions, garlic, ham)?

Thanks,
Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: canning greens

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collard Greens

Can them plain just like spinach. We do it all the time because like you we like canned greens. Add the other stuff after opening the jars. NCHFP instructions linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Spinach and Other Greens

o
RE: Collard Greens

haha. That's the same link I posted! Anyway, I didn't get around to picking the collards until today and here's what I did. I canned one batch per the NCHFP instructions. Just plain. The second batch will be canned next, per the soup instructions of 50% solids to 50% liquid. I made pork stock today and is in the refrigerator. I'll skim off the fat and add the collards and some onion, plus the little bit of pork meat that was stripped from the bones. We'll see which one I like best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here