Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Collard Greens

pqtex
10 years ago

We like cooked greens. I have a lot of collard greens right now. I usually cook a big batch at a time, and freeze the remainder in pints. My freezer is full, plus I like shelf stable canned goods. I also like the taste and texture of canned collards, although I know the recommendation is that freezer is better. I canned some a couple of years ago, and don't remember the method I used, but it would have been from the standard reliable sources. I was happy with the outcome.

Here's the question...

When I cook greens (not for canning), I simmer them for a long time. I cook them in pork stock or 50/50 water and stock and add some ham pieces to the pot. I season them with garlic, chopped onions, salt, pepper, etc. Obviously, this isn't along the guidelines of home canned greens, but is there any reason I can't can them like this using the soup recipe of 50% solid to 50% liquid? Obviously I would cut down the cooking time to take the canning process time into account.

Any other suggestions of canning the greens? Does anyone know of another reliable, safe recipe for canning the greens in stock (without the onions, garlic, ham)?

Thanks,
Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: canning greens

Comments (2)