Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stuffed Sweet Pepper Pickles - Possible to home can?

Posted by uaskigyrl 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 12:18

Hi All!

I came across a jar of "homemade" pickles at a farm stand. It was mini sweet peppers stuffed with cabbage and pickled in vinegar (& water & salt). I really like these pickles. They add a great oomph to salads. I didn't think to ask the farm stand how they processed the peppers (if they have heavy duty canning equipment or what).

I was wondering if these would be possible to home can in my own BWB or Pressure? And, if so, what would the ratio of vinegar to water be? I would like to stuff the peppers with a range of different greens as well, like spinach, collards, maybe dandelion to have a mixed jar of these stuffed peppers.

uaskigyrl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stuffed Sweet Pepper Pickles - Possible to home can?

Just a guess but from the ingredients listed I'd speculate these are a fermented pickle not a quick pack or brined pickle. Fermenting would be the safest.

Mini sweet peppers stuffed with cabbage would be easy to ferment and there are likely many recipes available for making them in fermenting books. If fermented properly then they could be BWB canned just as any other fermented food is.

However when you then start talking about taking an unknown recipe and changing the ingredients you are heading out on to VERY thin ice.

Dave

o

I totally did not even think about fermenting and how that was probably why cabbage was used.

I completely understand your point about changing recipes up. I was just curious if it was even possible to home can!

Thanks!

o

I made something like this from Farm Journal's canning and preserving book (more years ago than I care to think about). Some old recipe books call these stuffed pickled peppers "mangos" (not sure why).

When I get a chance I'll take a look at the recipes I have and see if they're doable today.

These were boiling water bath and I'd surmise would benefit from the use of some pickle crisp.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here