Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kriswrite

Low Sugar Pectin with Sugared Jelly?

kriswrite
11 years ago

Yesterday, I harvested dandelion petals and began making dandelion jelly., only to discover I didn't have quite as much ordinary pectin as I needed. I substituted half of the needed amount with Ball's Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin. The first batch came out fine.

I won't be able to go shopping for a few days, so I'm wondering if I should do the second batch with 100% Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin. The recipe calls for 4 cups of sugar. Will the jam turn out okay?

Thanks for the advice!

Comments (5)

• malna
    11 years ago

I haven't used commercial pectin in a long time, but I would *think* you could use as much sugar as you wanted even with no/low sugar pectin. I'm not positive since I've never experimented with it.

Do post your recipe - sounds interesting!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree with malna. Low sugar/no sugar pectin does not mean you cannot use sugar with it, just that you don't have to. How much sugar you use with it is up to you.

Dave

• kriswrite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I ended up making a special trip to the store - just to be sure. Here's my recipe, which I've been using for a few years now. My kids love it!: http://proverbsthirtyonewoman.blogspot.com/2012/04/making-dandelion-jelly.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Dandelion Jelly Recipe

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Hmm. Dandelions don't grow where I am. But couldn't you do this with calendula or lavender flowers, too?

• kriswrite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No dandelions? I thought they grew everywhere!

You can do it with any edible flower, really. Dandelion petals just have a nice, sweet flavor.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations