Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pressure canner gasket

Posted by mellyofthesouth 9a FL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 12:23

I have a presto 23 qt pressure canner that I have used exactly once to can turkey stock. I have used it a handful of times for a bwb when I was doing some pickles in quarts (have since gotten a deep stockpot I like better for that). I've owned the pc for about 6 years. I would like to put up some of the potatoes we dug at the farm. Should I replace the gasket or can I just do a trial run with water and make sure it is working ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pressure canner gasket

I'm not the expert here but I'd just see if if seals. You can usually tell by the way it goes on and adjusts whether or not it going to seal. They do dry out but I had mine way more than 6 years before it had to be replaced.

o

Same here - year's of use out of a gasket. Just put some water in the PC and heat it up to pressure. Even if they do dry and shrink a bit a good steamy run will usually expand them back to normal. If it just keeps leaking steam around the rim after that then it may need to be replaced.

Dave

o

Thanks for reminding me........I blew a gasket(LOL) last fall and need to get one ordered soon to have on hand when the garden comes on. My old canner is so old, that the gaskets changed sixteen years ago and I have to order online. So yes, they can last years if not abused. Mine lasted over sixteen!

o

Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here