Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does salt expire?

Posted by gardengalrn 6KY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 12:36

I'm cleaning cupboards for my move and found two canisters of Ball's pickling salt. One has "use by Apr 2007" and the other is newer. I wanted to combine the two canisters as they are both half full. Does salt expire? I didn't think it did. Can you think of any reason not to still use the salt? Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does salt expire?

I can't imagine salt going out of date. I guess the only thing that might happen is clumping if moisture gets to it, but it would still be usable, just less convenient.

I would never worry about an expiry on salt.

Carol

o

Go ahead and combine them. If it looks OK and moisture has not gotten into the container it is perfectly all-right to use the salt no matter what the expiration date. The container will expire long before the salt.

o

Thanks for the advice, I must say that Shirley hit the nail right on the head. I was pouring the older salt into the newer and when I got to the bottom realized that the metal bottom had rusted or decomposed and all the debris got into my salt, grrr. I ended up tossing it, not a big ticket item but I do appreciate the comments. Lori

o

All it can do is absorb moisture and clump up. It lasts longer than time. Pickling types, should be kept covered, so they don't get any moisture in them, because they have no anti-caking additives. On the other hand, Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride) will soak up water to actually form a liquid, that doesn't evaporate very well.

o

Morton canning salt comes in a Box or 5 lb. bag. Ball canning salt comes in a 2.5lb heavy plastic wide mouthed container. You may also store it in a canning jar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here