Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Annie's Pineapple Peach Salsa

gardengrl
15 years ago

I saw a jar of pineapple peach salsa at Target the other day and thought I'd play around with Annie's Salsa to come up with something similar.

Note: I did NOT change the total ingredient amounts to acids for this recipe...I only changed the ingredient mixture. It's still the original ingredient/acid amounts from Annie's original recipe.

Annie's Pineapple Peach Salsa

For BWB

Makes 6 pints

4 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped, and drained

2 cups drained, crushed pineapple

2 cups fresh or frozen peaches, chopped (and peeled if fresh)

2 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper

3 - 5 jalapenos, chopped

6 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp cumin

2 tsp pepper

1/8 cup canning salt

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/3 cup sugar or honey

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup lime juice

16 oz. tomato sauce

16 oz. tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, and process at in a BWB for 15-20 min.

Note: If you want to pressure can this recipe, reduce the total amount of vinegar/lime juice to 1/3 cup and process at 10 lbs pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Comments (20)

• jwangelin
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Any idea how the taste and consistancy is affected by pressure cooking vs bwb?

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I would expect that PC would make this quite soft. Might be better to BWB it, so its not cooked too much. The cilantro can be left out as it tends to lose all its flavor quite fast. Chopped fresh and added when the jars are open will give a much better/fresher cilantro flavor. May want to reduce the cumin a little too

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Haven't PC'd it, only because I'm lazy! LOL! I do slightly prefer to PC Annie's Salsa because you don't need as much vinegar, but it's not enough to motivate me (mostly).

• melva02
    15 years ago

As Carol mentioned on the "too salty" thread, when Annie's extension office approved her recipe, they only approved the BWB version, which requires 1 cup of vinegar. The pressure canned version with 1/3 cup of vinegar is not officially approved, so everyone should be aware of that when making your own safety decision.

Happy salsa to everyone. :-)

Melissa

• James McNulty
    14 years ago

So how did it taste? Texture? Method used?
    Jim in So. Calif.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I made this yesterday. We ate the bit left that did not fit into jars. Haven't tasted the stuff that was canned yet.

I used red onions. I used a combo of red and green peppers. And I used 4 jalapenos, including ribs and membranes. (The jalapenos were big - 3-4" each)

We like our salsa hot. This wasn't hot enough for us. I'll use a hotter pepper next time in lieu of the jalapenos. Or else I'll add a tsp of cayenne.

Also, I would have liked a bit more peach flavor. I'll have to compare this recipe to the original Annie's, and check my acid charts - but I'm thinking of maybe swapping out all the pineapple for peaches. Or maybe subbing another cup of the remaining tomatoes for peaches.

I also made a straight peach salsa (peaches, peppers onions, and spices). We like that - but it is too sweet and too peachy. We like tomato in our salsa.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

You don't need to re-invent the wheel. Bernardin has a peach salsa recipe and KatieC modified it slightly. So you'll see the original, I believe, in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving and maybe the BBB (haven't checked). KatieC's variation is at the link.

I have to say after canning the peach salsa once, I never will again. It's one of those things I much prefer fresh. Maybe frozen. I haven't tried that.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: KatieC Peach Salsa

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

KatieC's is the plain peach salsa I made. Hers is too peachy. This Annie's version isn't peachy enough. So I'll play around a bit, and try to come up with something in between.

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

I loved this salsa recipe:

Peach Apple Salsa
    6 cups (2 pounds) chopped Roma tomatoes (about 3 pounds tomatoes as purchased)
    2½ cups diced yellow onions (about 1 pound or 2 large as purchased)
    2 cups chopped green bell peppers (about 1½ large peppers as purchased)
    10 cups (3½ pounds) chopped hard, unripe peaches (about 9 medium peaches or 4½ pounds as purchased peaches)
    2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples (about 2 large apples as purchased)
    4 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
    1 tablespoon canning salt
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    3¾ cups (1¼ pound) packed light brown sugar
    2¼ cups cider vinegar (5%)
    Yield: About 7 pint jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure:

1. Wash and rinse pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

1. Place pickling spice on a clean, double-layered, 6-inch-square piece of 100% cheesecloth. Bring corners together and tie with a clean string. (Or use a purchased muslin spice bag).

1. Wash and peel tomatoes (place washed tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute, immediately place in cold water, and slip off skins). Chop into ½-inch pieces. Peel, wash and dice onions into ¼-inch pieces. Wash, core, and seed bell peppers; chop into ¼-inch pieces. Combine chopped tomatoes, onions and peppers in an 8- or 10- quart Dutch oven or saucepot.

1. Wash, peel and pit peaches; cut into halves and soak for 10 minutes in an ascorbic acid solution (1500 mg in half gallon water). Wash, peel and core apples; cut into halves and soak for 10 minutes in ascorbic acid solution. Quickly chop peaches and apples into ½-inch cubes to prevent browning. Add chopped peaches and apples to the saucepot with the vegetables.

1. Add the pickling spice bag to the saucepot; stir in the salt, red pepper flakes, brown sugar and vinegar. Bring to boiling, stirring gently to mix ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove spice bag from pan and discard.

1. With a slotted spoon, fill salsa solids into hot, clean pint jars, leaving 1¼-inch headspace (about ¾ pound solids in each jar). Cover with cooking liquid, leaving ½-inch headspace.

1. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.

1. Process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations in Table 1. Let cool, undisturbed, 12 to 24 hours and check for seals.

Serving Suggestion: Serve as a side with or spooned on top of grilled pork chops or any grilled meat.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Peach-Apple Salsa in a boiling-water canner.
    Process Time at Altitudes of
    Style of Pack Jar Size 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft
    Hot Pints 15 min 20 25

Nutrition Information (Estimated values using Nutritionist Pro software)
    Per 2 Tbsp: Calories 30, Total Fat 0 g, Sodium 66 mg, Fiber 0 g, Protein 0 g.
    Daily Values: Vitamin A 3%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 1%, Iron 1%.
    Percent Daily Values based on Dietary Reference Intakes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developed at The University of Georgia, Athens, for the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Released by Elizabeth L. Andress, Ph.D., Department of Foods and Nutrition, College of Family and Consumer Sciences. August 2003.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

LindaLou - how imperative is it to have hard unripe peaches? I'm planning on buying another bushel of peaches later this week - but those will be ripe and ready for canning.

• James McNulty
    13 years ago

My observations:
    If you cut ripe peaches into 1/2 inch cubes and cook for 30 minutes, you will not have anything left recognizable as it will cook into a paste.
    Unripe peaches would retain most of their shape, crunch, and color.
    Unripe peaches would also be slightly more acidic.
    Jim in So Calif

• tamieb
    10 years ago

I was looking for a pineapple salsa recipe and came across this. Have any of you ever had "Pain is Good - Batch #114 Jamaican Pineapple Salsa"?
    http://www.originaljuan.com/pain-is-good/batch-114-jamaican-pineapple-salsa
    here are the Ingredients: Tomatoes (Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid and Calcium Chloride), Water, Pineapple Tidbits, Tomato Paste, Onions, While Vinegar, Green Chiles(Green Chiles, Salt, Citric Acid), Sugar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Green Peppers, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Jalapenos, Salt, Dried Onions, Jerk Spices, Chopped garlic, Cilantro, and Spices.

I also like mine restaurant style no chunks because I really don't like onions and peppers. I know i'm strange.

I want to make my won because this past year I found out I'm allegoric to sulfates and everything has sulfates and any thing fermented is a sulfate, wine, vinegar and much more. I love it and want to make something like it. Can anyone help me?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I really don't like onions and peppers. I know i'm strange.

Pretty hard to have salsa without onions or peppers. Leave those out, which you can, and all you have is seasoned tomatoes with pineapple and spices. :)

So you want pineapple (no peaches?) salsa with no onions and no peppers and no sulfates, correct? Then the recipe would be

Tomato-Pineapple Salsa

6 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped, drained
    2 cups chopped pineapple tidbits

No chopped onion (or any amt. you want up 2 1/2 cups)
    No chopped or jalapeno peppers (amt. you want up to 1 1/2 cups)**

The rest stays the same except you can use 1 cup lime juice so there is no vinegar in it.

You can always leave out low acid ingredients as doing so actually increases the safety margin. But the volume and consistency is going to be way off.

**If you want to substitute more tomatoes for the onions and more pineapple for the peppers you can as both are much more acidic. Just don't exceed the total amounts of solids ingredients or reduce the required amounts of liquid ingredients. But what the resulting taste is going to be like is unknown.

Keep in mind that the salsa needs to be very sloshy/soupy when it goes into the jars. Do not use paste tomatoes (not enough liquid in them). You can drain off the excess after you open the jars, not before. And if you want it pureed (no chunks) then you have to do that after opening the jars, not before.

Dave

• tamieb
    10 years ago

I was looking for a pineapple salsa recipe and came across this. Have any of you ever had "Pain is Good - Batch #114 Jamaican Pineapple Salsa"?
    http://www.originaljuan.com/pain-is-good/batch-114-jamaican-pineapple-salsa
    here are the Ingredients: Tomatoes (Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid and Calcium Chloride), Water, Pineapple Tidbits, Tomato Paste, Onions, While Vinegar, Green Chiles(Green Chiles, Salt, Citric Acid), Sugar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Green Peppers, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Jalapenos, Salt, Dried Onions, Jerk Spices, Chopped garlic, Cilantro, and Spices.

I also like mine restaurant style no chunks because I really don't like onions and peppers. I know i'm strange.

I want to make my won because this past year I found out I'm allegoric to sulfates and everything has sulfates and any thing fermented is a sulfate, wine, vinegar and much more. I love it and want to make something like it. Can anyone help me?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Why the duplicate post a day later? Did you read the reply you got above?

Dave

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just saw this post make a resurection and it reminded me to make some this year! :-)

I still make this salsa and prefer to use frozen peaches as I've found they don't get as mushy as fresh peaches. Although if you want your salsa to have a restaurant style consistency, you could run a blender stick through it or whir it in a food processor/blendor to make it less chunky.

• Kerry Vetter
    9 years ago

Can I add more jalapeños to KatieC Peach Salsa recipe that Carol linked to a above? Thanks!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Jalapenos are very low acid. You can't increase low acid ingredient totals because you move the pH into the unsafe range when you do.

The only way you could add more jalapenos is to reduce the other pepper ingredients by the same amount - trade jalapenos for bell pepper. You can sub like for like but you cannot sub peppers for onions for example as their pH is different.

But the safest way to make it hotter assuming that is your goal is to increase the dried hot additives - add dried hot pepper flakes or increase the cayenne pepper.

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    9 years ago

Thanks!! Last ?- can I swap agave for honey?

• Kerry Vetter
    9 years ago

I added 1t cayenne instead of the half - thanks Dave, the heat is great. I googled and it sounds like using the agave for honey is fine. Does anyone disagree?