Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Ideas for chard?

tracydr
13 years ago

I have a monster chard right now, I use it and it grows back in a few days. If I don't trim it within a week the leaves are about 20" or more and very wide! I need some ideas to use this wonderful green as I'm flat out of ideas. I'm going to try stuffing it tonight. We've had it sautéed with favas and hamburger, lots of omelets. Plain steamed.

I don't think I really want to freeze or can it but I might have to. This is only 2 plants, so I get enough for a meal at one time but then it grows back really fast.

BTW, I'm in AZ and it survived the summer last year. I don't think it reseed, I think it might be the same plant because I never saw it die back and start from a baby plant because I never saw any new, little plants. It could be about 18 months old!

Comments (17)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Tried it on pasta? We experimented with a large batch last night. Wife sauteed in olive oil, chopped garlic, fresh ground pepper when it was done she tossed in a quart jar of our crushed tomatoes, heated it thoroughly and served it on spaghetti pasta. Fantastic. Bet it would work well with fettucini and even in lasagna too.

We planted the Bright Lights variety this year and all the different colors make an attractive dish.

Dave

• caavonldy
    13 years ago

We use it just as we would use spinach. We put it in salads, cook it with chopped up bacon, in a freatta, add it to soup or stews. You can use the stalk just as you would use celery, in fact we think it tastes better then celery.

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

That's a great idea about the stalks! Probably a lot more nutritious than celery too eh? I have a monster chard also and was wondering if it would still be good after 1 year.

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

Yes yes yes all of the above. We absolutely love it and if you get that much with two plants, figure how much I get with a row that is 16 feet long.......We absolutely love it along with spinach, beet greens, collards, kale etc etc. I put it in the freezer because it is almost as good as eating it fresh and even better because I don't have to buy it. Our favorite way to eat it is just sauteed with a little garlic and sometimes I add a little onion but always a shake of hot pepper flakes.........

• canfan
    12 years ago

Impressive crop! Have you made a "Chard Pie" or quiche with chard?

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Don't forget just fresh in tossed salads. I do all of the above plus soups and stir fry. I freeze it.
    Look up spinach recipes and sub the chard.
    I grow Bright Lights too and love the bright colors in salads. The leaves vary in color as well from almost a lime green, to dark green to burgandy. Beautiful variety.

Enjoy your bounty!

Deanna

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

This discussion has me a bit scared right now. I just planted a whole package of chard seeds in my garden. Neon Lights Mix. Hopefully my family will like chard!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

pixie_lou - it does cook down, just like spinach. So you do need quite a good bagful for four people. Also it stands well for ages so it's not a big problem if you have planted a lot.

Last lot I used was in savoury pancakes with cheese sauce.

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

I just put in six plants tonight. It is my first time growing it but if my family doesn't like it I may find myself eating lots of chard. Thanks for the ideas!

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Has anyone tried a spinach dip?Seems like that might bee good. It seems as though my taste buds prefer it mixed with garlic or onions and cooked or blanched. At least, when it's growing too large in warmer weather, which it is in Phoenix, right now.
    I made a great dish with fava beans, tomatoes, galic and chard. I used even the stalks, long cooked and the dish was wonderful.
    I just don't like it plain or without being cooked. I need to add garlic, onions and maybe peppers to enjoy. I think the fava bean slight bitterness went well with it.
    May try some stuffed chard this week, or chard with beans.
    We do like kale better but the chard is more heat resistant and lives through the summer in the shade here in Phoenix so that makes it pretty special. It's not nearly so strong tasting in winter and in fact, in it's shady bed, doesn't grow like this until it starts getting pretty hot, either.
    Right now, it looks like a huge rhubarb bush.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

There is a dish we make with smoked meat, onion, peanut butter, hot sauce, and greens - Swiss Chard being a favorite. Basically chop and mix it all up, the peanut butter and water from the chard form a sauce, and eaten with some starch like rice or polenta.

That may not be the most appetizing descriptive, but its pretty good stuff.

• cabrita
    12 years ago

Some great ideas here!

We use it finely shredded as a pizza topping. It does tend to dissapear so use a lot!

I use it as a filling in frittatas.

Instead of spinach in vegetarian lasagne.

finely shredded in tacos and salads.

When I make my own pasta (chard fresh pasta - substitute cooked chard puree instead of the eggs-water)

Now if the squirrels would just let me have some....

• jimster
    12 years ago

"Have you made a "Chard Pie" or quiche with chard?"

Yes. It's my favorite way to use chard.

Jim

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The quiche sounds lovely. We've enjoyed the frittatas. Cabrita, could you share that pasta recipe?

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I've only sauteed chard, with an onion, a small can of diced tomatoes, and a spoonful of brown sugar. Then finish off with a splash of red wine vinegar. That's how I learned to prepare greens in Uganda.

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

I used some tonight, but it was very young from small plants

I cooked small button mushrooms in 1/4 cup of olive oil and maybe a teaspoon of sesame oil, then added 3 cloves of garlic sliced thin, and toward the end of cooking I added the greens, salt and pepper and lemon. I added TrueLemon instead of lemon juice and about a half cup of fresh parmesan cheese and toasted almond slices. Added it all to cooked whole wheat pasta.

I didn't use any meat since we had eaten a Long John Silver sampler for lunch (LOL) but grilled chicken would have been nice with it. I used enough lemon to give it a nice lemony flavor.

• salix
    12 years ago

Use the leaves instead of cabbage for cabbage rolls - much easier!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES