Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francienolan

Canning on ceramic top stoves

francienolan
15 years ago

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I'm wondering about using my Presto pressure canner on my ceramic top stove. The bottom of the canner is not totally flat - I'm not sure how to describe it except to say that the bottom has a stove burner sized circle, and then the rest of the bottom is slightly raised around this circle. So, the only part of the bottom that is would be in contact with the burner is this circle on the bottom. I'm not sure if that's clear, but it's the only way I can think of to describe it. I've had the canner for probably 15 years but it works fine as far as I know; haven't canned in the past few years.

I've read conflicting opinions on canning on ceramic top stoves, and I thought this would be the best place to get informed advice. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments (12)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

A simple search showed the results below

Here is a link that might be useful: Smooth top stove

• francienolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, ksrogers. :) I had tried the search, but must have used different search terms. In any case, it seems there are conflicting opinions here as well, doesn't it? Guess I'll give it a go and see what happens.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

As far as I know most all the ceramic top stove manufacturers prohibit it. When we were shopping for one last year every single one said "voids warranty" so we passed on the cook top and went with sealed burners instead.

Why not check with your stove manufacturer. I know most of the canner makers say don't do it so "giving it a go" may mean you have to get a new stove. ;)

There is a great thread here on using alternative burners - both propane and electric - for canning rather than a ceramic top stove.

Dave

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if the reason not to is because of the size of the pot covering more than the actual burner circle or because the burners turn off and on to limit the temp.
    I noticed that with my ceramic stove, when the burner reaches a certain temp, it shuts off then comes back on when it cools a bit. This was very frustrating at christmas when I was trying to make candy, I couldn't get the syrup hot enough because the burner kept flicking off and on. I can use it to make jelly, but I use the propane burner on my BBQ for the pressure canning.

• susancol
    15 years ago

What a great idea! I always forget about the burner on my outdoor grill. I had planned on canning for the first time this summer, but I have a ceramic stove top. Reading through this thread, I was beginning to get that uhoh kind of feeling, but then presto, the perfect solution! thanks, mxbarbie!

• bela67
    15 years ago

My stove(kitchenaid) says i can use it for canning its a glass top BUT it also says smooth bottom canner which i have not found yet.. I plan on using the outdoor bbq for my canning just to be safe to my stove.

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

I just use a huge stockpot with a flat bottom to can in, rather than an actual canner, and that works fine on my ceramic top stove (water-bath canning). I bought the stock pot at a local hardware store, and I just fill it full enough to cover the jars properly (with a canning rack inside, of course).

• afeisty1
    15 years ago

I've used mine for the 8 years I've had it. I make sure I only use flat bottomed pans. My Mirro pressure canner builds up and sustains pressure just fine.

• gardenbug_girl
    15 years ago

I have been using a Presto 23 quart canner now on my Whirlpool glass-top stove now for 2 years without a problem for pressure canning only. Mine too has a flat/raised partial bottom as you describe. That "raised" area is the same size as my largest burner, so that is the one I use when pressure canning. When I called my stove company (which I reccommend you do) they told me that the glass-top has a maximum weight of 50lbs. Thus I do not use my 23 quart pressure canner as a waterbath (if you do the math- 1 gallon of water is ~8lbs multiply by the number of gallons to really fill it, then add the weight of full jars and I'm well above max weight). I will say I have trouble with the stove "clicking off" as others have described so a large stockpot full of water or soup takes FOREVER to boil and has difficulty coming back to a boil after I put jars in. Whirpool says that is a "safety feature" and an "energy saver". That being said, I do all of my BWB canning in a stainless stockpot on the burner that came w/ my $35 turkey fryer and do all of my pressure canning on my indoor glass stove. From what I understand, the All American pressure canners may be used on a turkey burner but the Presto ones are not designed to have a thick enough metal base to withstand that intense, direct heat.

If I had it to do over again, I would choose a gas stove w/ coil top but we were/are thinking resale and also gas is not used in our area.

Happy canning! =)

• francienolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An update on pressure canning on my ceramic top stove - it worked just fine! :) Mine is a 17 qt Presto, which is pretty light.

I processed 5 pints of Tomato Vidalia Onion FF salad dressing last night, and my only problem was that the pressure goes up soooo fast. I had to turn the burner down to between 3 - 4 to maintain 11 pounds pressure, and that was for only 20 minutes.

I'm planning to can some chili, which will require 75 minutes processing, so I'm a little concerned about maintaining the pressure at a low enough rate - it tends to whiz right up to 15+ lbs if I don't watch it VERY closely. That's the opposite of what I expected.

I remember from using this canner on my old regular electric stove that once you've canned a few things, you get a "feel" for the right setting to maintain the correct pressure. I'm really pleased that it worked out so well. Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

• afeisty1
    15 years ago

Mine also builds pressure in no time it seems. I start backing down the burner a little at a time until it gets to medium. If I start it at medium, it never builds adequate pressure.

• blakepyo
    15 years ago

Hi! I put the information I received from some stove manufacturers and distributors about canning on glass and ceramic stove tops and some practical alternatives on this page: http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm

And for the person looking for apple butter recipes, see this page for easy, illustrated directions: http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm

I hope this helps!

Blake

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning on Glass and Ceramic stoves