Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

dehydrated/dried zucchini

I tried a dried zucchini chip last summer and I thought they were really good. Well this year I am going to try to start preserving earlier, than later. Since I have about 200 zucchini plants to plant, I figure I will have some extra to dry. Don't worry, I market garden and I will sell most of them. I am planting them in a high tunnel so I will have zucchini by the end on May. Probably 3-4 weeks sooner than most.

I am looking for dried zucchini recipes and what would the best way to store these chips? Freeze them?

Jay

Comments (10)

• denninmi
    14 years ago

Not really a recipe per se, but in the past, I've dried zukes and cucumbers slices dusted with the type of herb mix you would use to make ranch dressing.

I make my own blend because the powdered stuff in the store is WAY too full of salt and sugar.

I mix: onion powder, garlic powder, dill, oregano, celery seed, paprika, and a LITTLE salt, sugar, and black pepper.

Works pretty well.

Storage, yeah, freezer is best if you can spare the room.

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Dug out my 30+ year old Harvest Maid dehydrator, which still works, and am going to try the zucchini chips with dinninmi's seasoning. Will also keep monitoring this thread for more dried zucchini recipes.

• simplicitygardens
    14 years ago

I don't know what I could have done wrong but my dehydrated zucchini chips are just plain weird. I've tried adding them to soups several times and they never really soften back up. They stay chewy, leathery and strange. Any ideas what's up? They were picked at their prime, tasted fine fresh, and were sliced about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick for dehydrating.

Thanks, Abhaya

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Don't forget the zucchini candy ! My grandson loves that stuff.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do share Linda Lou, Zucchini Candy, that sounds interesting.

Abhaya, I like to crunch them like chips. I have never rehydrated them.

Jay

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

BASIC ZUCCHINI CANDY FRUIT

10 cups peeled diced zucchini 1/2 inch cubes
    3 cups water
    2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid
    2 1/2 cups sugar

Peel zucchini,cut in half, removing seeds. Dice in cubes.
    Mix the liquid syrup together. Add zucchini. Bring to
    a boil and them simmer for 25 min. Drain. Put on dehydrator trays. Dry 14
    hours at 125 degrees. Turn pieces over and dry another 4 hours. This will
    feel dry and not sticky when done. Store in jars or other tightly sealed
    containers.If you dip in sugar when you turn them, they will be more like
    "gum drops" on the outside.

PINEAPPLE CANDY FRUIT

You can do the same thing with the zucchini but use :
    48 oz. pineapple juice
    2 T. pineapple extract
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice

BLUEBERRY CANDY FRUIT

10 cups peeled, cut zucchini, about 1/2 inch cubes
    1 -16 oz. can wild blueberries ( mashed and strained through cheese cloth)
    1 qt. fresh blueberries ( mashed and strained through cheese cloth)
    1 cup water
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice ( optional)

Follow the directions for basic recipe.

HINTS: When turning your zucchini, dip in sugar to coat them, making them more like "gumdrops".
    MAKE FRUIT LEATHER : Drain and mash or blend fruit and spread on drying sheets and dry them.

• joannaw
    14 years ago

Do you have to blanch the zucchini first before dehydrating? Or just dry it raw?

• wtfdouwant
    9 years ago

I found a great way to use dried squash & zucchini. Heat a little oil in a skillet with a bit of garlic and some scallions or onions. Toss the dried zucchini in there with a little soy sauce and some sesame oil. Saute until it browns a bit. Add a little water to steam up and soften the zucchini, allowing the water to evaporate. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

This is a Korean recipe, but I bet you could use this cooking technique with different seasonings.

• kriswrite
    9 years ago

Just store them in glass jars with tight lids. We just season with salt and pepper.

• donnaroe
    9 years ago

kriswife, how do you use your dried zucchini that you store in the glass jars? Just wondering if I would actually use this if I go to all the work.