Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning kraut with Pickle Crisp?

Posted by john__showme__usa 5/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 13:54

Partial quote from Dave in another thread:

"Many of us use Pickle Crisp in several different "cooked" foods and it works just great. Personally I have used in in peppers and potatoes and processed pickles and kraut it makes a great deal of difference when compared to the same foods canned without it.

Would really like to try canning kraut with Pickle Crisp. Please post the recipe. I want to do in pint jars.

Thanks!

jt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning kraut with Pickle Crisp?

It's not a recipe John. You just add a tiny bit of PC to each jar before processing it. I never do kraut in pints, just quarts, and I use a short 1/4tsp. per quart. It is added "to taste" so you'll have to experiment a bit to decide how much you prefer.

Instructions on the bottle call for rounded 1/8 tsp. per pint.

Regardless of the vegetable the jar label reads:
1. Prepare recipe as instructed. Pack vegetables in jars.
2. Add Pickle Crisp Granules (rounded 1/4 tsp. per quart and rounded 1/8 tsp. per pint.
3. Ladle hot liquid into the jars.
4. Process or refrigerate according to recipe.

Dave

o

Dave,

Thanks much! I'm going to town in the morning and will buy some PC. Have at least a gallon of fermented red cabbage kraut in a very cold fridge that will use.

Still trying to successfully ferment green cabbage kraut in pint jars using very little salt & think I have it worked out. If I succeed then won't have to can the kraut for long storage in the future. Fingers crossed.

jt

o

If you aren't going to process it you don't need the pickle crisp.

Dave

o

I make sauerkraut every year and my cabbage is beautiful this year so I am happy to read this thread. I have never used Pickle Crisp so I'll give it a try. I have to say though that my kraut is wonderful. A friend gave me some jars and I thanked him and he said, they are not free. I want two jars of your sauerkraut. I gave it to him of course and his wife told me that he opened the jars and ate it right out of the jar. When I saw him next he said, That was the best kraut I ever ate......I'll try some Pickle Crisp and see if it makes it even better.

o

Canned the kraut yesterday and sampled a jar today. A definite improvement. Thanks, Dave!

Too salty for me though. Will go back to low-salt method for next batch.

o

Have two 5 gal buckets of kraut to put up. Was wondering about using PC. Will go ahead and use it d/t this posting. Also have some red cabbage to put up. Would like a pickled cabbage recipe if anyone has a TNT one they have used. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here