Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

It Came!!!

bcskye
12 years ago

I finally got a copy of Fancy Pantry! Found it on ebay at an unreasonably wonderful price - $1.39 plus $3 something shipping. Its paperback and that's fine with me. I've wanted it for a long time, but couldn't justify the cost, now I've got it and the timing was great.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer the day before the book arrived. Its at a very early stage, most desirable really. I am looking at a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation five days a week. Then I will be on a medication for five years. This is if they don't find any more cancer and I'm really optimistic that they won't. If they do, well, that will be dealt with then. Anyway, this will give me plenty of time to go through the Fancy Pantry and pick out all the wonderful projects I want to do. I'm so happy and excited!

Comments (13)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I'm not familiar with the book, just now read a couple of reviews and it does appear like fun. You'll have to let us know what the Melon Moons (pickles) one of the reviews mentioned entails :)

I'm sorry about your diagnosis but if you are going to have breast cancer, it sounds as though you've picked one of the better types. I hope all stays simple, and you breeze through the treatment without too much disruption to your life. Do you have the option of the radiation close to home without having to travel too far?

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

I've had this book for a while (found at library used book sale - a happy day!!) and it is fun to read, not that I have made that many things from it, but it is just a joy to go through and I always laugh at the same silly titles or descriptions/methods and I drool over some of the ingredients/dishes knowing full well I won't make them or have anyone to make them for. I know you'll enjoy it. I put out an antique doily, my grandma's china tea cup and saucer, brew a pot of tea in a lovely glass brewer, read it and pretend.

Hope you sail through your cancer treatment. I do recommend that you join a survivor's group, even if you are not the group joining type. When the ugly days hit you, they will be there and truly care that you continue to be a strong survivor, and later that you will be there to give back some love to them when they need it. It is the next best thing after being hugged by your mom, and the closest thing to having 30 or so loving sisters.

Nancy

• readinglady
    12 years ago

A positive attitude is a huge factor in recovery, and it sounds as if you have it in abundance. I'm so glad to hear you are one of the fortunate ones who was diagnosed early.

I wish you well in your treatment. My MIL sailed through her treatment with no side effects whatsoever. I hope the same is true of you.

Congratulations on acquiring Fancy Pantry. It is such an enjoyable book to read, not to mention some of the best recipes on the planet. Witty really nails it with her preserves (apricot and raspberry come to mind). Over the holidays I'm sure to head for her Baked Cranberry Preserves with Orange and Cardamom and her Hot Fudge Sauce (not to mention the White Chocolate Sauce with Hazelnuts).

The book is a minefield for calories but anyone wanting to gift homemade items for holiday giving just can't beat her work.

Carol

• bcskye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you morz8 and nancedar for the support. My mother passed away 14 years ago from breast cancer she ignored until it had spread out of control. I've been somewhat expecting this diagnosis and it didn't really come as a huge surprise nor a devastating diagnosis. Mom's aunt also had it and survived as did her sister-in-law who lived to be 92. Most of them had it develop around my age. I will be joining a group and I've also had contact from a friend who is a breast cancer survivor and none of us ever knew. Don't know how many years ago she had it.

I am a veteran and get all my medical treatment at the VA in Indianapolis. They are having the surgery done at another hospital affiliated with them and within sight of them and I'll be getting all the radiation at the VA. I really don't mind the drive for this. The vehicle I'll use is my old 19 year old Toyota Corolla and it gets 41 miles per gallon. That's better than the old truck or the newer Jeep and I'm so optimistic, I'll be grinning all the way there and back.

As for my Fancy Pantry, oh yes, I will be trying some of the recipes. They just sound like so much fun. I also have two tea sets. One my mother started giving me cup and saucer sets every year for my birthday and Christmas when I was about 9 years old. They are very delicate and have violets and gold trim on them including the sugar and creamer. The other was a sayonora gift after I left Japan 39 years ago to come back home. It the burnt orange background with the heavy gold design, I think of peacocks, all over them. This set is Noritake and I have the teapot, creamer, sugar and the full dinnerware set to match. And to top it off, I have the family doilies as well as crocheted cloths, etc. I will have some great teas. Who says you have to stop pretending when you grow up? Who says you have to grow up - or at least be grown up 100% of the time. Oh, and the recipes I try from Fancy Pantry that DH and I don't like, well, I'll just give the results to people we aren't particularly fond of.

Thank you both for the support and I won't be sending you any of the results from Fancy Pantry that we don't like.

Madonna

• bcskye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I missed your post, readinglady, and thank you for the well wishes. I honestly think I'll get through this okay, but its sure messed up our plans. We bought the motorhome last June, but things keep coming up to keep us from actually going on a trip in it. Oh well, the time will come and in the meantime, we can go on weekends and I can play with new recipes to preserve in between.

I started to read Fancy Pantry in the car. We picked up the mail, the mailbox is 3/4 mile down the hill from our house, as we were going out to run some errands. Everything is twenty miles or better from our place so I just started going through the book as soon as I could tear open the wrapping. I have heard so much from people on here about her preserves and can't wait to try them. I have the ingredients on hand for the Baked Cranberry Preserves with Orange and Cardamom and will probably give them a go within the next couple of days. I love to try new recipes and this book is a joy for me.

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry about your diagnosis!! You seem to have an unbelievably good attitude though. Keep it up!

Attitude is everything. :)

I was looking forward to meeting you this spring, but I'll be here waiting if you DO get "out west" in the future.

I just had to go Google Fancy Pantry, I'd never heard of it. Now I'm going to have to look for it at the library!!

Deanna

• readinglady
    11 years ago

For anyone interested, here's the Kirkus review from 1986:

Anyone who refers to James Beard as Jim, as does Witty, has got to be not only a good cook, but a good cookbook author as well. Witty (Better Than Store Bought, Mrs. Witty's Monster Cookies) is both. This is a specialty cookbook of condiments, pickles, preserves and patÃÂs for the chef who delights in preparing foods the old-fashioned way. It will also catch the interest of the cook who is tired of paying exorbitant boutique prices for gourmet foods. Imagine your own sun-dried tomatoes, balsamic mustard or country style pate; here it is. Of the 250 recipes presented, few are usual. For example: banana ketchup, melon marmalade, tomato jam with ginger and coriander, and dried cheddar cheese. The chatty introductions to chapters and recipes are interesting and informative. The author seems fascinated by the interrelationships between recipes and among foods and food types, and she delights in the infinite possibilities of variation. An entertaining specialty cookbook.

Of course some things have changed since then but it's amazing how little adaptation is required, given the age of the book.

I have this and her successor volume, The Good Stuff Cookbook,. It includes 40% updated and "tweaked" repeats from the first book and 60% new recipes.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

WOW Madonna I am sorry to hear the news but it sure sounds like all the odds are on your side, right? Like Carol said the mindset makes all the difference and yours sounds very positive.

Got all my fingers crossed for you.

Dave

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your book and your attitude about your diagnosis.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!. My mother is a ovarian cancer survivor which is a very aggressive form. They originally told her the survival rate was around 5 yrs. that was 17 yrs ago. Keep your attitude and your chin up....I will keep you in my prayers.

• jude31
    11 years ago

Madonna, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but your attitude is so good and that's very important. I was 5 years cancer free in January and I still try to keep my positive attitude. Good luck with your surgery and your treatment.

About the Helen Witty books...I just ordered both of them from Abebooks.com for $1.00 ea. plus shipping. I have ordered from them several times before and always get good service.

jude

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Me want! (The book, not the cancer!)
    All joking aside, just want you to know how sorry I am you're having to go through this, but also how much I'll be rooting for you!!
    Big hugs!

• bcskye
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for all you good wishes. Haven't gotten a date for surgery yet because the VA didn't get the pathology reports and they have to give permission for the surgery to be done in order for them to pay. I'll stay optimistic.

lpinkmountain, I hope you can find the book at the same deal I got or maybe you can order it from the same place jude31 ordered hers. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I've heard others say they have and enjoyed them.

• Charcuterie
    11 years ago

I've got the hard cover edition of this book and I love it. All of her books are great. What have you made so far? You have got to try the pickled grapes if you haven't yet!