Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phloodpants

How long does corned beef keep?

phloodpants
16 years ago

Hello,

I've joined this forum in the hopes that you knowledgeable people might answer a question for me!

My partner and I have a dinner party planned that features corned beef that we have preserved ourselves. This is our first attempt at curing meat and we're a bit paranoid about things like botulism. We don't want to kill our guests!

So this party is happening two weeks later than originally planned. We believe we have cured the meat correctly, but are unsure of what to do now that it will spend an additional two weeks in the fridge, in brine.

Here's what we did:

We have an 8-pound brisket (grass-fed highland cattle, yum) This was thawed at room temperature overnight, and was still mostly frozen in the morning, so it was put in the refrigerator. There it sat for 3-4 days before we got the brine going.

Our recipe: Based on Joy of Cooking recipe, with our changes indicated. We could not source Prague Powder #2, so we substituted Morton Tender Quick, calculating for the relative percentages of Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate.

4 quarts hot water

1/3 cup of Morton Tender Quick (Joy uses 1.5 teaspoons Prague powder)

1 2/3 cups salt (Joy uses 2 cups, we reduced salt to allow for extra Tender Quick)

1/4 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons pickling spice

8 lbs beef brisket (Joy recipe is for 5 lbs)

Lots of garlic!

Conversion between Prague powder and Tender Quick based on sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate amounts:

Prague powder is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 4% sodium nitrate.

Tender Quick is 0.5% sodium nitrite and 0.5% sodium nitrate - approximately 10 fold lower, with the rest made up by salt.

So we used 10 fold more Tender Quick (1-third cup) to substitute for Prague powder (1.5 teaspoons).

ie 1.5 teaspoons x 10 = 15 teaspoons = 75 milliliters = 0.31 cups ~= 1-third cups.

OK, so after four weeks, (Joy recommends three weeks curing) the meat is pink and lovely. It smells and looks fantastic.

Most of my concern is that it will be yet another week before we cook it. That's two weeks later than Joy's curing time.

Does anyone see any safety issues with this? Other issues? Will it be too salty because of the extra brining time?

Thanks so much,

Chris

Madison, WI

Comments (2)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Botulism isn't usually a concern if its cured with nitrates/nitrites. The 'Prague' is adding nitrites (and nitrogen) to the meat and has a preservative effect, which makes it stay pink. They use these in pepperoni, and you have probably seen pepperoni and other meats that are not even refrigerated, like some specialty sausages and even summer sausages. Because you don't have good control over the amount or salt and nitrites/nitrates in the Morton Tender Quick, it tends to be suitable for those who are not too concerned if its overly salty, or just want to give it a simple single try. When I make this brine, its usually the meat that gets weighed and the brine amount its based on the salt and Prague (nitrites/nitrates) and water. Here, I do use measuring devices, as its important to get the right amount of salt, and after curing if its too salty its hard to remove it. Prague is also got pink color and salt added so its not just pure nitrites/nitrates. If it were, it would be about 1/8 the amount that is in a tablespoon of Prague. They do this so that its easier to measure or weigh the nitrites/nitrates, and you are less likly to over do the amount. Soaking the meat for that long (2 weeks!? )is too much time. No matter what the books say. I use a meat pump, an oversized hypodermic needle and syringe and inject the brine into the meat. Because a brisket is quite thin, it needs very little brining, maybe 2-3 days tops. A very low, slow cooking is essential for a tender result. In this forum are many sources for the nitrites and nitrates and other curing supplies as well as links to recipes. Corned beef is also made into pastrami, by coating the outside with the same pckling spices and baking very slowly like 6 hours at 250 degrees. Usually the nitrates are used for longer, slower air curing, and nitrites are used for fast curing like sausages and corned beef. They also identify these as Instacure #1 and Instacure #2. Here, I don't use a pickling spice mix per se, but instead grind up peppercorns, mustard seed, coriander, bay leaf, celery seed, dried garlic, onion, and a few other spices (done in a small blender type coffee grinder) THis spice mix is also added to the brine. Suggest that uou remove it from the brine now, and rinse it off well, then either simmer to cook it very slowly for several hours, or bake at a very low 200-250 degree oven, covered, for about 4-6 hours. The internal temp should eventially reach about 160. I have even made a great pastrami from very lean eye of the round, which in itself tends to be quite tough. Not sure if you actaully tasted the brine before it was soaking the meat, but if it was overly salty, it may result in that same end result. Years ago, before I started making cured meats, my mom had gotten a recipe off a package of Morton Tender Quick to make a hamburger type pepperoni that was wrapped in aluminim foil like a big sausage and baked. It did turn out quite interesting, but was a bit salty. I still have that almost full bag of Morton Tender Quick here, for nearly 30 years now, and have not used any since.

Lots of good info on nitrates and nitrites at this link to:
    http://www.butcher-packer.com/pages-document_general_info/product-743/nitrite-and-nitrate-curing-salt.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Butcher Packer

• ksrogers
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are several other threads about meat curing

Here is a link that might be useful: meat curing threads