Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-can?

Posted by susan_on 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 16:19

Hi, I have a question about some oxtail broth I canned today. I hadn't used my canner in a few months. When I vented it today, I kind of thought that it wasn't venting as "strongly" as I'm used to seeing, but I thought it was my imagination. Thinking back, there was more than the usual steam coming from the sides- there is usually some, which ends up stopping, I guess as the rubber gasket/seal softens up. I processed as usual, and now the second batch is processing. When I did this batch, the venting was more powerful, and then I realized the difference between the first batch and the second batch.

So now I'm wondering if I need to reprocess the first batch? If so, do I need to use new lids? Next time I dig the canner out, I'm going to soak the lid ahead of time to soften it up.

I have to check back to read responses, because even though I have notified the GW, I never get my email notifications (and I always click to get them). Thanks in advance for any responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-can?

First, the getting you mail issue. Your email program is likely routing them to your junk email file unless you set your email program to recognize GW as a legit source of email. In other words, the problem is with your email set up, not on the GW end.

As to the broth, did it come up to pressure and was it processed for the full length of time? If so, it is safe. If your PC was leaking too much it would never get up to the needed pressure. The risk with leaking is that you will run out of water in the canner.

That said, you sure can reprocess it if you wish with no problems but yes you will need new lids.

You really need to address the leaking gasket problem though. They shouldn't leak steam at all. You most likely need a new gasket.

Dave

o

It's one of those weighted types, and it was jiggling. Does that indicate that it came up to pressure? Sorry for the dumb sounding questions. Oh, and yes, I did process it for the full length of time.

I have a Mac, and I don't even know where my junk folder might be! LOL! NOT very computer savvy. Anyway, I used to get my emails, and then it changed for no apparent reason. I'll have my son look at it.. he's much better at this stuff than I am.

o
forgot..

Oh, and I'll contact Mirro about getting a new gasket. Thanks.

o

It's one of those weighted types, and it was jiggling. Does that indicate that it came up to pressure?

If it was jiggling/spitting/spinning whatever you want to call it at least 3-5 times a minute then yes it was up to pressure. Mirro gaskets are usually available at ACE hardware and several sources online as well.

The Junk mail folder is part of your email program - which ever one you use - not the computer. It is also called the Spam folder in some email programs. It is usually listed in the Menu of your email just like your Inbox.

Dave

o

Oh, thanks Dave. Now I know where to look for my emails AND my gasket. I appreciate your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here