Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Need a recipe and/or help with cooking old fashioned grits

In a programmable cooker? Any one do this?

I love old fashion grits for breakfast. But I don't like instant or "quick" grits. The take too long to cook on work mornings. I've just bought a Fagor and I can program it for an 8 hour start time.

Any help appreciated, before I burn down my house experimenting!

Comments (10)

• Tracy93
    12 years ago

Are you planning on pressure cooking them? You may want to re-read your Fagor instruction manual; I don't believe cooking cereals in a pressure cooker is recommended. If you are going to use the slow cook function then you are good to go. Do a Google search of Slow Cooker Grits.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Is this what you are looking for? Tracy is right - it isn't recommended and is messy and this link explains why and how to control the problem. It is easier with a more coarse grind grits.

Dave

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    12 years ago

A pressure cooker can clog, however a slow cooker started at bed time should do the trick.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was planning to use the high setting on the slow cooking setting, vented, which is hotter than a crock pot. I tried it in my old crock pot several times and didn't get good results, not done. I may try it this weekend during the day so that I can get a feel for it instead of waking up to the smell of burned grits!

• sweetquietplace
    12 years ago

Since I fumble around first thing in the morning, I cook my grits ahead of time...on the stove in a big pot. When it's finished cooking, I melt in butter, grated cheddar cheese, season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Then I divide it into individual portions and put it in the refrigerator. All I have to do is nuke it slightly, stir a bit, and nuke it again until it's hot. I can manage that even before the coffee kicks in!

• pnbrown
    12 years ago

And it isn't difficult to grow your own grits, if you don't already. I use Hickory King.

• planatus
    12 years ago

I've always cooked slow grits by hand. The starches break down sooo slowly and need to be constantly mixed in, so I would not anticipate good results without very frequent stirring. Like restaurant people, I make a big batch and we eat them for several days. They're usually done in an hour, plus a bit of resting time after that.

• salthart
    11 years ago

Instant grits are a joke, ( and a bad one ) but quick grits are fine IMO. Now you need to try and learn if you prefer hominy or meal grits. Both work for me.

The real secret to making grits IMO either long or quick, is to boil the hound out of them. I start 6 parts water to 1 part grits and without regards to what the label directions say, I boil them for 10 minutes at a full rolling boil. This means either constant stirring or use of a tall pot such as a stock pot. (no lid) They come out nice and creamy and well worth the effort for me.

I think you will find that the problem with any non stir method is that your grits will become a pasty cake with the water floating on top. Try the quick grits at a full boil for 10 minutes and see if they don't suit you.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I experimented this weekend. The best results were putting them on the pressure cooking setting for 10 minutes, but leaving the vent open.

I found that I needed just slightly more water, like saltheart said.

I made them with 5 parts water to 1 part grits last night, to be ready this morning, and they turned out pretty good!

I like mine thick and they were just slightly thin for me. Without the soaking time in my experiments, 5 to one was close to perfect. So I'm trying 4 1/2 parts water to 1 part grits tonight.

• joannaw
    11 years ago

In case you're still looking for ideas, I just came across a recipe for slow-cooked grits in the Southern Foodways Alliance cookbook. They use stone-ground grits. Cover 1 c. grits in water, soak 1 min., agitate to remove chaff, then drain. Put them in the slow cooker with 5 c. water, some salt, and a couple tablespoons of butter. Cook on low 8 hours. Do not disturb them during the first 2 hours. Haven't tried it myself, but those people know what they're doin'. :)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012