Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelledt

Newbie Question

MichelleDT
12 years ago

Hello Harvest experts,

I am new to the Harvest forum and new to canning. I wanted to try this so I can preserve much of my CSA share that we can't finish during the week and to can tomatoes and tomato sauce.

I started with a small batch of strawberry jam yesterday to practice. I ran a not metal canning tool around the edges of the jars per the Ball book to get the air out before putting on the lids and caps. After water bath processing I let the jars sit 24 hours. The seals are tight, no pinging or moving when I push in the center but the fruit separated from the juice and there are tiny air bubbles in the jar. Is this safe or should I toss it?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Michelle

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

The small air bubbles happen now and then. It just means it was a little too thick when it went into the jar. The big ones can usually be removed but won't harm anything since you are working with an acid food. Separation aka floating fruit happens more so with certain fruits and others and is caused by the air in the fruit. A bit longer cooking time can often limit the floating. otherwise just stir it up when you open the jar.

I ran a not metal canning tool around the edges of the jars per the Ball book to get the air out before putting on the lids and caps.

You mean all around down in the jar right? Not just around the top edge?

Good first job! You done good. :) And welcome to the forum.

Dave

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave,

Thank you for responding. Yes, I did run the plastic "tool" around the whole jar, bottom to top and then "pushed to center" as shown in the book.

Glad to know I won' t kill the Mister when he uses on toast or ice cream.

I am going to try again this weekend to see if I can get a jam that is more like jam than fruity sauce.

Cheers,

M

• bcskye
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that you're ready to jump in and can another batch. Nothing wrong with what you did and you did it right by following the instructions in the Ball Blue Book.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting