Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trouble freezing peaches

Posted by missem 7 west TN (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 17:55

I freeze peaches by peeling and then cutting up into a fruit fresh/water mixture. Then drain and freeze in freezer bags. Then, it it like all the juice exits the peaches themselves - lots of juice but the peach pieces are not so plump. My peaches will be ready at the end of May/first of June - they are not freestone type. What am I doing wrong? Could it be the type peach?
Also - has anyone ever made peach sauce (like applesauce)?
I do dry some of the peaches and love them but DH loves frozen ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trouble freezing peaches

I make peach sauce. And I make peach applesauce. (There is a peach sauce recipe in the Ball Book - which pretty much says "follow the applesauce recipe.")

I peel and pit my peaches (Since I save the pits and peels to make peach syrup), put the peach halves in a pot with an inch or so of water, and sugar to taste. I the use an immersion blender to puree the fruit. (If I left the peels on, I would then send the peaches through my food mill).

When making peach-applesauce - I put a combination of peaches and apples in the pot.

I can't really help you with freezing peaches. I don't freeze many. When I do, I just peel, pit, and throw the peach halves in a ziploc bag. I don't do the fruit fresh thing - since I don't care about browning - I use my frozen peaches for smoothies, cobbler, or future batches of peach-applesauce.

o

I can my peaches..........and find them much superior in texture to frozen.

o

To get good frozen peaches, peel, pit, slice, dump into some cold water with a tablespoon or two of frozen orange juice concentrate added. Keep adding peaches until there isn't room to get any more in and still have water on them.

Scoop them out, orange water and all, place into your containers and freeze them that way.

If the peaches aren't sweet enough, you can add a bit of sugar to the water.

o

Thanks, Oregon, I'll give that a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here