Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this to low acid for canning?

Posted by Jeff77503 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 18:37

I am trying to make a tomato based mango salsa for canning, in a post from a couple years ago Dave posted that you could substitute 3 cups of tomatos for mangos. I think that this recipe would be good for canning:

3 cups roma Tomatos
3 cups mango
1.5 cups red pepper
0.5 cups onion
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 jalapenos
2 tsp fresh garlic
2 tsp fresh ginger
1.25 cups lemon juice
0.5 cup water

From what I have read it should be okay because the lemon juice is better at bringing down the pH than vinegar. Thanks for the help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this to low acid for canning?

Well you could always pressure can it with no safety concerns except it would be a 'guessed' time.

For BWB canning it is "probably" safe with that much lemon juice but that's another guess. There is just no way to know for sure. And there is still the density issue to consider. It sounds like it would be pretty thick.

NCHFP has a Mango chutney recipe that you can add tomatoes to and use it as a base recipe. It already has the onions and I suppose you could sub some peppers for some of them but it is still a make-it-up-as-you-go-along recipe which is strongly discouraged in BWB canning. And it calls for 3 cups of vinegar!

So with all the guesses, the unknown pH factor, the density issue, and the no-cooking before eating factor combined, personally I would not do it. I'd make it and freeze it.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here