Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turkey stock has film floating in jars

Posted by eddie1025 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 18:39

I made some turkey stock after Thanksgiving last year. I went to use a jar this week and discovered a film floating on top. I looks almost exactly like those little filaments of egg you see in egg drop soup.

Anybody have experience with this? It's not very appetizing but I'd hate to throw all six quarts out. I'm planning to just strain off the film and boil the stock well before using.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turkey stock has film floating in jars

It sounds like the fat to me. If it is, that would be normal. Could you post a pic?

o

Could it be a little leftover turkey fat that didn't get strained off before canning?

o

It sounds to me like protein scum, which is normal and perfectly safe.

If, in preparing the stock, it's boiled, protein scum will rise to the surface in a foamy thready mass. Then it can be skimmed off. But if some is missed, it may appear with the heat of processing.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here