Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Question

Posted by erikzett (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 18:42

Ok I attempted my first canning experience today. Canned pickled cauliflower, peppers & carrots.

I hot packed and then put lids on and slightly tightened all of them.

I made 8 jars but only 6 of them would fit into canner. So the other 2 sit out for about 40 minutes before putting them in another for a second batch.

Is this ok?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Question

Is this ok?

Not really. The general guideline is that jars go into the canner HOT so you only fill enough jars for for the canner load. The rest of the food remains warm in the pot until you are ready to reheat it and then fill the rest of the jars.

This is a little less of a safety issue with pickled foods than with other things because of the acidity of them from all the vinegar. But even then the jars have cooled on the counter so it would take longer processing times to bring them back up to full heat level. So "technically" your last two jars were under-processed. I'm not saying they are unsafe just that you need to correct the way you do it in the future.

I assume you used an approved recipe for making this so it has plenty of vinegar?

Dave

o

Is your canning pot deep enough to stack the jars ? If so, then that is what the rest of us do.
Could you have a second pot on to can more if your pot is not deep enough ?
Other than that, the next best thing would be to not fill them all with the boiling liquid and cap them up. You could fill the raw ingredients, but not add the brine. Bring it to a boil and then seal and process once the others are done.
Or, put the filled jars in a pan of water in the oven to keep them hot until you can process them.
I just went back and read that it was a hot packed food, not a raw pack food. Raw pack was not an option for this recipe ?

o

Isn't hot pack kind of unusual for this sort of pickle? I also am interested in knowing which recipe you were using.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here