Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce

ruthieg__tx
13 years ago

from Small Batch Preserving....I am much happier with this canning session than with the greens.......a little siphoning but not much....

Comments (11)

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I still have some issues with regulating the temp of the canner but I felt pretty confident that all was well with this canner load and obviously it wasn't but the front jar on the right was the only one with more that about 1/4th inch of space in the jar......I think the angle of the camera makes them look worse than they were..

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

You said some siphoning - did you find sauce in the water? I don't see gunk in the water but no matter what I BWB there always seems to be more headspace after processing than before and I swear I measure! Did you release air bubbles?

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No I didn't see anything in the water at all but I was told that when you have more space than you started out with that it was because it leaked/siphoned into the canner.....maybe it wasn't at all......This was pressure canned not BWB'd..

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I'd have to check the book but I'm sure this recipe can be BWB'd (I have done it, before I got the book I saw the recipe posted here). I have a nice All American PC but also a glass top stove :-(

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Geeze I have to check, I hope I didn't screw it up .......

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

OK, just checked the book - it's all BWB and freezing, no PCing under instructions (though there may be a recipe or 2). 40 minutes BWB for quarts but 1/2 inch headspace. So if you left 1/4 inch and PC'd, it could have siphoned. May also be a little overprocessed due to higher temps? How long did you PC for?

Frankly, yours don't look any worse than mine that I BWB'd with 1/2 inch (to start with ) headspace.

On a side note, we love this sauce but after a few jars I can start tasting the vinegar, would like to sub citric acid, lemon juice, or more red wine instead if anyone has any suggestions.

Or maybe this year I'll try the Roasted Veggie Sauce with balsamic on the facing page...

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I pressure canned it for 40 minutes. My husband said it was the best pasta sauce he ever ate.......He says that a lot so I said sure and he said...........No seriously....It's the best I remember ever eating. I grow ton's of tomatoes so this will be the go to recipe.......

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Yeah, I guess you can't really overprocess it since you're supposed to heat it up before serving anyway - not like jam. You might want to BWB the next batch if it's easier, no waiting for PC to cool down, though it does use more water.

We love this sauce too, just would like more wine, less vinegar taste. The Roasted Veggie recipe sounds good too - I'm meeting someone in town tomorrow who has an 18-quart Nesco roaster for $20 so I'll be able to roast those summer veggies w/o heating up the whole house with the oven this summer.

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will you get the same roasting with a Nesco as you would with an oven. Seems like they would be more steamed.........

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I don't know but it's worth a try. I can always use it for apple butter like Annie does - figure it's worth $20?

Nesco says you can roast a 20-lb turkey in this thing - though they do say to use a browning sauce??

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I use mine for turkey etc etc but I think to get that roasted flavor you will need the oven but I could be wrong. It's a moist heat but for $20 you are right....good buy.