Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

What to do with asparagus ends

psittacine
11 years ago

I am a member of a food co-op and one of the offerings in the last pick-up frame was very inexpensive asparagus. I finished blanching, bagging, freezing them last night and still have to figure out what to do with the stem ends that I kept. This afternoon we had some spears for lunch. They are pretty tasty but are much stringier/tougher than what I expected. Oh well.

So what I would like to know is what others do with stem ends.. I have 6.33 lbs. soup? stock? (pressure canned of course) '?' ___Recipes please!!____ Nothing that has to be frozen though. I had a very tough time finding enough crannies and corners for all the half pound vacuum packed bags of spears. I have got to learn to stop buying stuff just because it is on sale! ..sigh..

Comments (4)

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I usually just save the ends with my other veggies trimmings for soup stock.
    If you're out of freezer space, maybe you could pressure can them to save for later. Just mark them well so you don't open them thinking they're for regular eating.

I DO can asparagus (with a tiny bit of vinegar, because we like it that way) to eat. It's soft, but yummy.

Deanna

• psittacine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deanna, I've never had canned asparagus but I most probably would like it - hubby not so much though. Even so, had I known that the asparagus spears were stringy, I would have seriously considered canning them. I don't particularly care for space hunting in a chest freezer. Canning the end pieces would work for me and I have vacant quart jars! I'll have to go to NCFHFP to read up on how to do them. Thanks for that suggestion.

I use a very light hand when it comes to trimming veggies and pare/cut off as little as possible. Funny, I always thought I was just taking off the inedible portions of a vegetable and didn't think it would be good for anything. One day I will seriously check into what can really be saved for stock.. immediately after I figure out how to obtain/maintain a bit of the elusive freezer space :D

Crystal

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I save onion skins (all but the very outer layer), celery trimmings and carrot peelings mostly, but will sometimes toss in chunky parts of broccoli stems, asparagus or tiny bits of leftover veggies/greens. Too much broccoli can be a bit strong (and it usually goes into broccoli salad).

The only part I compost is the root piece and anything that looks really nasty/dirty. Everything else goes into a bag in the freezer. When I have bones from chicken, turkey, ham, beef, etc. I throw them in a big pot with the veggies, cover with water (or whey from making cheese) and simmer for a few hours. Strain through cheesecloth over another big pot, refrigerate overnight, defat, then can or freeze the stock. So much better than store bought!

Deanna

• psittacine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm hoping Dave will read this because late last night unable to sleep, I read through more posts on asparagus and read one that I'm pretty sure was his. Dehydrate and powder ends?? How did it turn out? Anyone else do them and, was it worth it for the flavor?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting