Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunshine Dill Pickles

Posted by another_buffalo 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 22:06

A restaurant owner was telling me today how he made sunshine dill pickles for the restaurant, that folks loved them, and they were crispy as they had never been cooked. It sits in the sun for up to three weeks.

I googled it and found LOTS of recipes for sunshine pickes. The recipes looked something like this:

SUNSHINE PICKLES
3 qts. water
1 qt. vinegar
1 c. salt
1 head of dill or 1 tsp. dill seed per qt.

Wash cucumbers and pack in jar with dill. Mix water, vinegar and salt. Bring to boiling point and pour over cucumbers. Add 1/4 teaspoon alum for firmness and garlic for a different flavor. Set under a shade tree for 3 or 4 weeks and they are ready to eat.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on food safety?
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunshine Dill Pickles

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 13:12

My mom and grandmother made something similar. My grandmother's recipe is:

Dissolve 3/4 cup pickling salt in 1 gallon warm water. In a crock, layer a good amount of cucumbers (she left them whole, but slit them through the middle so the brine would get into the center), a generous amount of dill and garlic cloves. Cover with the salt water solution and place a piece of rye bread on top. Leave in the sun for a least 5 days (cover with cheesecloth or a tea towel to keep out the bugs). When satisfied with the taste, put them in the fridge with the strained brine and some fresh dill if you want. I do love these pickles, and still make one batch a year to keep the "tradition" going :-) I don't can them - refrigerator storage only, but they do keep for quite a while. I add some vinegar to the brine when storing, but I like "vinegary" pickles.

Linked below is an old thread about these types of pickles as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun-Fermented Dill Pickles

o
RE: Sunshine Dill Pickles

Thank you, Malna for the link. I did not realize this was what is called a fermented pickle. That link pretty much tells me all I need to know.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here