Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickling cukes

Posted by Thr1ceup0natime 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 23:23

Hi! I've never done any kind of canned veggies/fruits before so I figured I needed some help. I bought the burpee pickler hybrid and some ms.wages fast dill pickle mix for my first time. It says the pickles are edible after 24 hours but in order to fully get the flavor , what's the longest I can leave the cukes in the juice after canning until I can't eat them anymore? What time is best? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickling cukes

If your pickles have been processed properly, they'll technically last indefinitely. However, after a year or so, they will suffer textural change (softening) and possibly darkening, depending on storage conditions. They will still be safe to eat though.
Normally, the recommendation is to wait 4-6 weeks to allow the brine to fully penetrate the cuke.
I haven't used the Mrs. Wages, but I believe it's just a seasoning packet so won't change the timing.

I would definitely wait more than 24 hours!

If these are NOT processed pickles (i.e. stored in the refrigerator), they should be good for a week or two at least. What was the vinegar/water ratio?

Deanna

o

Deanna the Mrs. Wages mixes contain citric acid and claim proper acidity levels are lab tested and approved.

I have tried a couple of their different mixes with good results although if processed and used with purchased cukes rather than fresh harvested ones they do tend to the soft side. I prefer to add Pickle Crisp to them or make them for fridge storage only.

Dave

o

Yes they are going to be fresh grown. It says they mature in about 53 days. The package says it makes 7 quarts. 9-11 lbs of pickling cukes, 3 1/2 cups white vinegar 5% acidity, 7 1/3 cups water and the package of mix. I like softer pickles but I want them to be super flavorful so I didn't really know how was recommended for the pickles to soak in the brine. :-) I can't wait! Now after I jar them cause it says I need to use the boiling water bath canner method, after they cool it says to chill to enhance flavors and crispness. So It's recommended to usually leave them for 4-6 weeks for best flavor then?thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here