Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preserving Grape Leaves

Posted by nancedar z7 NCWakeForest (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 5:00

There must be some way to can my own grape leaves for Dolmas or Dolmade - the Lebanese/Greek tidbits made up of rice, pine nuts, lemon, dill or mint, and other goodies wrapped in grape leaves and simmered. I find the bottled jars of them in the store at a high price, but I grow organic grapes and there are lots of leaves just waiting for me. Do any of you know how to can them? I'm sure a high amount of lemon juice is called for too to preserve them safely when using a BWB. Just the leaves, not the Dolmas - after those are made they can be frozen but I'd prefer to open my own jar of leaves and make the Dolmas fresh.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preserving Grape Leaves

These are not as salty as the commercial leaves, so you don't have to soak them after removing from the jar.

Per pint:

About 30 tender, light-green grape leaves
1 quart water
2 tsp. pickling salt
1 cup water plus 1/4 cup lemon juice or 1 1/4 cups water plus 1/2 tsp. citric acid

Bring salt and water to a boil. Blanch leaves 30 seconds. Drain.

Stack leaves in piles of 6. Roll stacks loosely from the side (not the stem or tip). Pack into a pint jar, folding over ends if necessary. (Ball wide-mouth are taller than Kerr.)

In a nonreactive pan bring the water-lemon juice or the water-citric acid combination to a boil. Pour over the rolled leaves, leaving 1/2" headspace. Close jar and process 15 minutes BWB. Or for short-term use, cover and refrigerate.

from "The Joy of Pickling" Linda Ziedrich

Carol

o

Can it be any variety of grape leaf or are some better than others? I only ask because I think I read somewhere that it was best to use leaves from particular grapes.

o

Well, any grape leaf will do as long as it is large enough to fill and roll and not infested with bugs or sprayed with insecticide.

I like this thread because I was wondering about pickling these things also. I love to use every part of my backyard vineyard. Mostly for wine. I love Dolmadas and make mine in the spring with fresh leaves, and if I can spare some of that lovely grape must, am willing to venture into artisan mustards and Sicilian Mostaccioli.

o

Thanks for helping me with the method. I made 3 pint jars using Concord grape leaves. Very simple and easy to do. When blanched, the leaves turn to a muddy brown-green. Rolled in the jar they look like wet cigars. LOL

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here