Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kriswrite

Pressure Canning Fruit?

kriswrite
10 years ago

Recently, I read this article: http://joybileefarm.com/pressure-canner/ which suggests pressure canning fruit.

Certainly the short processing times are appealing, but is this safe? And is quality affected? What do you think?

Comments (4)

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

We've had a few discussions on this forum. When you add in the heating, 10 minutes of venting, bringing up to pressure, processing time, bringing down pressure - I've found it actually takes longer than bwb.

For me BWB is 20 minutes. PC is 10 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nchfp has instructions.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I agree. The fruit will be softer as well.
    It is perfectly safe, but why do you want to pressure can?

Deanna

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The first part of the linked article is about how to use your PC as a BWB canner for fruits (cover the jars with water, different lid, etc.), not about pressure canning fruit. That is a common practice as it saves the costs of buying a BWB canner and eliminates having to store both pieces of equipment

The second part discusses how certain fruit products may be pressure canned when "the fruit that you are canning is quite firm and wonâÂÂt turn to mush, or when you are canning a sauce or chutney, where the texture is naturally soft and sauce like." But the article does not recommend it for all fruit products because the texture will be affected.

Also note that on the chart for times to use only 5 lbs. of pressure is listed. For the most part those times and pressure listed jive with the NCHFP times and pressure. So with a couple of possible exceptions for altitude adjustment there is nothing new or wrong in this article.

The time saving aspect comes into play if you are already running the PC or multiple PCs for something where it is required, heated up, etc. and also doing some fruit at the same time. When the meat or vegetables or whatever are finished, putting the jars of fruit in then saves time.

During the heavy part of canning season wife and I are often running multiple PCs at the same time in a staggered configuration so when doing some fruit products at the same time saves lots of time over BWBing it.

Dave

• kriswrite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree that PC often takes longer (which is why I usually water bath tomatoes). I had just never heard of this method and wondered why it wasn't typically recommended.