Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing cooked beetroot to pickle

Posted by feijoas Temperate New Zealan (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 6:11

It's a bit of a long story, but I'm giving some 'pickling how-tos' in a couple of weeks.
I've just taken posession of much beetroot, that certainly won't last till then.
Has anybody cooked, skinned and frozen whole beetroot, then defrosted, siced and brined?
I haven't frozen beetroot before and my main worry is it collapsing in the brine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing cooked beetroot to pickle

That would be my concern too since the freezing can break down the cell walls but I have never tried it. Since you have the time why not do a test run with a sample and see what happens.

Dave

o

Beets keep pretty well in the fridge. Maybe try some this way, too.

Cindy

o

They will keep well until your class if you keep them refrigerated. That would be a mess if you freeze them and then try to pickle them.

o

I would do as Linda Lou suggested and refrigerate (uncooked). They should keep well for that amount of time.

Select firm fresh beets without soft moist spots. Trim the leaves and stem down to about 2" long. Don't wash the beets. Place in a plastic bag, squeezing out the air. Refrigerate. This way they should last for about 3 weeks.

Carol

o

Actually, beets last for months in the fridge. Because of voles, I can no longer store beets and carrots in the ground where they grew so I store my carrots and a few beets in the vegetable drawer of the fridge in the fall. In spring, whatever is left is still in top condition.

o

• Posted by feijoas Temperate New Zealan (My Page) on
    Tue, May 31, 11 at 2:35

Thanks guys, they're staying in the fridge!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here