Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper Jam recipe with pepper in weight

Posted by bks76 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 7:36

Hi all,

As always thanks in advance for any info, I really appreciate it!

I am using already chopped frozen peppers to make jam. Most recipes I see call for either cups of chopped peppers or a certain amount, like 4 chopped peppers. Now, peppers vary in size, and once frozen and if thawed at all, they compress so that 4 cups of thawed peppers will be more than 4 cups of fresh cut peppers. Does anyone have a safe recipe that uses pounds rather than cups?

Alternatively, is there a formula for x pounds of low acid ingredients need x cups of vinegar to acidify safely for jam?

If I used 1 1/3 pounds of peppers would 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and 5 cups of Sugar be safe?

Finally, I do not blend my peppers such that there is a variance in how many peppers are in each jar, I try and even it out but sometimes jars get more peppers and sometimes less when I pour in the jam. Could this pose a safety risk?

Oh, one more question. If I make jam and refrigerate (not process in BWB) is there a general rule for safe refrigerated shelf life (6 weeks? 2 weeks?)
Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper Jam recipe with pepper in weight

Here is one.

Recipes that call for a # of peppers would be same # thawed or fresh. Since yours are already chopped (not sure why you would chop before freezing?) all I can think of is to get a fresh one, chop it, and measure it for comparison.

is there a formula for x pounds of low acid ingredients need x cups of vinegar to acidify safely for jam?

No. Each has to be tested individually.

I used 1 1/3 pounds of peppers would 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and 5 cups of Sugar be safe?

Can't say. It would just be a guess.

Finally, I do not blend my peppers such that there is a variance in how many peppers are in each jar, I try and even it out but sometimes jars get more peppers and sometimes less when I pour in the jam. Could this pose a safety risk?

Not if it is properly acidified when made. The pH level would be uniform.

If I make jam and refrigerate (not process in BWB) is there a general rule for safe refrigerated shelf life (6 weeks? 2 weeks?)

If using a tested and approved recipe then in theory it should be safe from anything but molds. The general guideline is 3-6 weeks but that is open to all sorts of variables. Processing eliminates any concerns.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here