Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Claussen pickle recipe

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 8:04

My cousin mentioned seeing "a guy on TV" making half sours, fermenting 2-3 days (yes, I know that's not long enough) and then canning them. He planted lots of pickling cukes and wants to start them in an old bath tub (50 gallons?)! I want to email him so SAFE recipes, thought he might try the Claussen style but the recipe doesn't say what to use for solution (brine?) when filling the jars.

Fermented Dill Pickles � Refrigerated "Clausen" Type

1 Gallon Jar
Pickling Cucumbers
12 Fresh Dill Flower heads, or
2 Tbsp Dried dill weed and
2 Tbsp. Dried dill seed
10 to 12 Cloves Garlic
6 to 8 Peppercorns
1/4 Cup Vinegar
1/2 Cup Salt
1 1/2 Quarts Water

In 1 gallon jar add pickling cucumbers
Rinse but do not wash the cucumbers.
Add Dill flower heads or dried dill weed and seed, garlic, peppercorns, and vinegar.
Dissolve salt in water and add to jar.
Fill jar the remaining way with water.
Add weight to keep cucumbers under brine.

Fermentation sequence
1. Clear brine � no cloudiness for 1 to 3 days
2. Cloudy brine with gas formation, 2-3 days
3. Cloudy brine � no gas formation, 5 to 6 days
Pickles ready to eat after 10-11 days.

Refrigerate pickles if you do not want to process them.

To process the pickles:
Fill clean, sterilized quart jars with pickles to within 1/2inch of the top.

(OK, Here's where I don't know - should you reuse the old brine - boil it first? Make fresh? Make vinegar/water solution?)

Wipe, seal, and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove and place on towel in a draft free area.
Let jars stand for 12 hours.
Label and date. Store in a dark, cool area.

Thanks for your help.

I'm also sending him the "Heinz" recipe which I've tried, and Linda Z's Half Sour recipe (with the caution not to can them, keep in fridge).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Claussen pickle recipe

thought he might try the Claussen style but the recipe doesn't say what to use for solution (brine?) when filling the jars.

When processing you use the brine they have been fermenting in just as you would with any other fermented foods and per NCHFP To can them, pour the brine into a pan, heat slowly to a boil, and simmer 5 minutes. Filter brine through paper coffee filters to reduce cloudiness, if desired. Fill jar with pickles and hot brine, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.

If you need more brine you make it with salt, not vinegar. 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt per quart of water boiled and cooled.

If they are too salty you can add a bit of sugar to each jar.

Does that cover it?

Dave

o

OK, thanks Dave. I did read that on NCHFP, that's why I asked whether to boil it, the recipe just didn't say. I figured that if you didn't have enough brine after boiling/simmering/filtering, you'd make up fresh in the same proportions as original brine and top off with that.

Don't some recipes call for adding vinegar to stop (or slow) the fermentation? The "brine" in this recipe calls for vinegar, too, hence my confusion (I don't know why this recipe calls for vinegar and other fermented brines don't).

If they're too salty, can you rinse the pickles before canning them?

You can tell I've never canned anything fermented before, but if he has all these cukes coming in at once, he'll have to can them (fermented or quick recipe) - or else fill up every fridge in the family!

o

Gads, I just lost my post because I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

I make fresh brine as I find the original brine too "funky" for my taste.

This document from Wisconsin Extension (all safe USDA-NCHFP type recipes and information) will tell you everything you need to know about pickling. On page 19 there's a recipe for fresh canning brine if you choose to go that route.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Pickles and Relishes

o

Great resource, Carol - thanks! I see that brine on page 19 has vinegar in it, a LOT of vinegar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here