Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
another_buffalo

Pressure Can tomatoes?

another_buffalo
10 years ago

I do understand that tomatoes can be water bath canned, but that takes a longer cooking time than with the pressure canner. Just wondering if you can tell the difference between pressure canned and water bath canned tomatoes? Which method would you prefer?

If adding zuccini or okra to the tomatoes, it must be pressure canned, correct?
Carol

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If adding zucchini or okra yes it must be pressure canned. No BWB option because of the low acidity.

Just wondering if you can tell the difference between pressure canned and water bath canned tomatoes?

NCHFP says the pressure canning "results in higher quality and more nutritious canned tomato products". Personally I agree and much prefer PCd tomatoes over BWB. I think the color is brighter and the fruit is more firm.

But it is a question that has been debated before and I know others will disagree so it boils down to personal preference.

Some feel it takes as much if not more time to PC them when you factor in the up-to-pressure and the cool down time but it works faster for us as it fits into wife and my routine with multiple PCs going at the same time. I feel it uses less electricity and gas and I don't have to keep adding water to it as I do with the BWB when it runs for 85 mins.

All you can do is try both methods and see which you prefer.

Dave

• another_buffalo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave
    Lets hope the weather is better this year and we have LOTS of tomatoes to can. If that is the case, I don't mind experimenting. But if it turns out to be a limited quantity I'd like to do it the best way possible.

There is no global warming around here this spring. Its the first blackberry winter that I can remember. Snow expected in may. I had already set out tomatoes and peppers and lost them all. I'm telling myself that it is a minor setback - and will catch up in a month or so. But I'll be covering the few tomatoes that I set out this week - and covering the blooming blackberries.
    Carol

• kriswrite
    10 years ago

Actually, by the time you vent the PC and so forth, I find it takes longer to pressure can the tomatoes. But no, there is no difference otherwise.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I'm in the BWB camp. For MY uses, and in MY kitchen it works better, isn't so hot and steamy, and we're fine with the slightly softer product as they are used in soups and stews anyway, I just add them a little later to the soup.

I completely agree with Dave that it's personal preference. Both are tested and produce an acceptable product.

Wishing you bushels of tomatoes!!
    Deanna

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I WB outside on a turkey fryer during the heat of summer, just need to make sure the fryer is out of drafts. All the heat is outside with the other heat.