Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenman101

2 Canning questions.

gardenman101
11 years ago

Ok, I pressure canned chicken/turkey broth (with nothing else) for 45 minutes at 15lbs pressure becuase at the time thats what I read. Now that Ive looked at a few more postings it says to pressure can for approx 60-75 minutes for quarts. My question is will my broth be safe? I only did it a few days ago so im guessing I can redo if 45 minutes wasnt good enough.

2nd question, I like to make a hot and sweet relish, in the past I would chop/dice my hot peppers and add to allready made (store bought if i cheat) cucumber relish and then refrigerate for a few days before using (doesnt last very long) My question is if I do it in larger batches this way can I reprocess the relish (canning) and if so how would I go about doing this?

Comments (5)

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

First of all, I think your broth is fine.
    What elevation are you at? The Ball Blue Book states processing time for quarts is 25 minutes at 10 pounds (based on an elevation of 1000 feet or less). If anything, you've over processed which isn't going to hurt anything since it's broth. Other foods may suffer in quality.
    Where are you getting your processing times? Neither one appears to be accurate unless you've adjusted for elevation.

There aren't any tested times for reprocessing commercially canned foods. You might want to try making from scratch or just continue what you've been doing and refrigerate. I don't see the benefit in using fuel, lids, time, etc. to can something so quick and easy to do. I've posted a link to the relish page from NCHFP (Univ. of georgia).

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Relish recipes

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deanna, ty for the quick response. Either im blind or my ball blue book is missing a page, but i find nothing in it for broth itself. All i find are a few soups (with alot of additives). I thought maybe it was overkill on my part and accourding to your advice I feel better knowing it might have been. Im not sure of elevation but id think its within the 1000 feet range ( I will have to check on that to make sure) and i did forget about the NCHFP site (now in quick load on computer) ty again.

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Do you have the most current BBB? The one with the Peaches on the front? Publish date 2010.
    If so, it's on page 63, top right-hand corner.
    Chicken Stock.

And you're welcome!! It's nice to see people wanting to do things safely.

Deanna

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea, I checked the date on my Ball Blue book, its 15 years old. Not sure where i got it from. Must have been an Ebay purchase. So im going out to get most recent one this weekend.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yep, been lots of changes in the guidelines, and in the book, in 15 years. :)

Dave