Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Lemon Verbena Jelly Recipe

jude31
14 years ago

My lemon verbena plant is going great guns so I think it's time I made jelly since it's been a while. this recipe is from one of the most beautifully put-together herbal recipe books I have ever seen.

THE BEST OF THYMES

by the late MARGE CLARK

LEMON VERBENA JELLY

2 heaping cups of fresh lemon verbena leaves, cut up

2 1/2 C. boiling water

1/4 C fresh lemon juice

4 1/2 C. sugar

2 to 4 drops yellow food coloring

1 3-ounce package liquid pectin (I like Certo)

Place cut up leaves in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over leaves. Cover aand let stand for 15 minutes. Strain and measure 2 cups of the herb liquid into a heavy saucepan. Add lemon juice and sugar. Stir well. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring often. Add food coloring. Stir in pectin and return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour into hot, sterilized jelly jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjusst lids and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.. Makes about 2 pints of jelly.

I used the very small jars but don't remember how many it made. The jelly has such a light delicate flavor.

Enjoy!

jude

Comments (7)

• robin_d
    14 years ago

This sounds interesting, something like rose petal or lavender flower jelly perhaps?

• vic01
    14 years ago

Jude, this sounds good enough to give me an excuse to find a space to grow another plant..lemon verbena. Thanks.

Jackie

• jude31
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Robin, I think you are probably right, although I've never made either, I have lots of lavender. Hmmmm. I think I'll look for a recipe right away.

Jackie, I doubt you'll be sorry. In a way I think it's like rosemary, only for the fact that I get a lot of pleasure just brushing the plant with my hand as I pass by. I grow mine in a pot and bring it inside in the winter. I also posted a recipe for lemon verbena sorbet on Recipe exchange. It is so simple and so very good.

jude

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Geez, now I'm going to have to start growing Lemon Verbena so I can make some of this jelly. Sounds good. Years ago I made violet jelly. Everybody wanted a jar of it and when all was said and done, I had none left over so I never got any. Everyone said they wanted more when I made it again, but the knees aren't up to bending over so long to collect the violets and the great-neice and great-nephew I talked into collecting them for me got bored real quick so no more violet jelly.

• got_bullmastiff
    14 years ago

hmmm.. . wonder if I could make this using lemon balm instead? I have buckets of that stuff!

• robin_d
    14 years ago

Lemon Balm Jelly

1 c. lemon balm
    3 c. water
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    6 1/2 c. sugar
    1 bottle liquid pectin
    Drop of yellow food coloring

Steep lemon balm in boiled water 10-20 minutes. Strain. Bring infusion and sugar to a rolling boil, add pectin and cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat, add coloring, jar and seal. My note: BWB 5 minutes in sterilized jars, 10 minutes in non-sterilized jars.

I found this online, haven't tried it yet. I've scooped up recipes for lavender, violet, rose petal, dandelion, herbs - I am especially intrigued by apple jelly with rosemary, to serve with meat. :-)

I made Lavender Jelly today, and it is delicious!

• jude31
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Robin. I had to smile when I saw your post about the apple jelly with rosemary. If anything can help apple jelly I'd vote for rosemary. Love rosemary, can't stand apple jelly. I love most things apple but not the jelly. I have a bunch of recipes using lemon balm and if I actually get in the jelly making mode/mood I may give the jelly a whirl. I'm thinking strongly about the lavender jelly too!

jude