Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uaskigyrl

Canning Mint Sauce

uaskigyrl
10 years ago

I came into an abundance of mint and was looking to can some mint sauce but I can't find a recipe for canning some. I came across the following recipe below but it doesn't have a preserving time or method. With all the sugar and acid added, I don't see how it would be a problem to BWB for 10 minutes. Thoughts?

Tracklementsâ Mint Sauce (makes 4 medium jars)

â¢300ml cider vinegar
â¢370g raw cane sugar
â¢10ml lemon juice
â¢270g fresh garden mint, chopped very fine

-Put the vinegar into a large saucepan or preserving pan, and heat gently.

-Add 70g of sugar, and the lemon juice, and then bring to the boil.

-Add 150g of sugar, then bring back to the boil.

-Add a further 150g of sugar, then bring back to the boil for the last time.

-Pour into a large bowl or bucket and then add the chopped mint and stir.

-Allow to cool for half and hour and then put into sterilised jars.

http://www.chutneyandspice.com/2011/mint/grannys-preserving-pan

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

My issue with this recipe is not safety (due to the undiluted vinegar and lemon juice) but attractiveness and perhaps taste. I'm not convinced the flavor of the mint will hold up well to the processing and with the cider vinegar, the raw sugar and all those leaves it's likely to be an unattractive brown color.

I'd be more inclined to use white wine vinegar and granulated or light organic sugar and remove the mint leaves from the infusion before processing. I think it would be a more attractive syrup.

Just my thoughts.

Carol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I agree with Carol about the quality of this recipe. I'd use the Lemon Balm jelly recipe subbing the mint for the lemon balm. Makes a great appearing and tasting jelly and if you reduce the pectin or stir it well after opening you have a great sauce. We use the lemon balm one as a cooking sauce on grilled chicken all the time.

If you do this recipe instead let us know how it turns out.

Dave

• uaskigyrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is why I love you guys, you guys always give great advice!

I didn't think about the mint turning brown. I did look up the lemon balm jelly, Dave, but you said it didn't turn out so well? Did you try something different in subsequent times? http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0920171220487.html

I think mint has a strong enough flavor that it would do really well in that recipe. This mint is wild mint, I have it in water in vases in my kitchen right now and it smells wonderful.

I could always make a mint jelly and then thin it out with vinegar when I want to use it...

• pqtex
    10 years ago

I have such an abundance of lemon balm! I never thought about doing something like this with it. Something to try. Thanks.

Jill

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yeah we used at least 2x the lemon balm called for and steeped it for a long time. Can't recall how long and wife is gone right now. But taste the water and if not lemony let it sit longer.

We don't care for it as jelly on toast - jam lovers here with chunks. But it sure works great as a glaze. If I hadn't finally eradicated all the mint in the flower beds (new bunch in container is still too small), i might try the mint too. We don't eat lamb and that's the only thing I tend to associate mint sauce with.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I had a beloved uncle who routinely ate blue cheese topped with a dollop of mint jelly on his breakfast toast.

A truly odd combination but strangely appealing. I have no idea where he got the idea from.

Carol

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

Dave - How did you manage to get rid of that mint? It seems indestructable and after 4 years of spreading, its everywhere. I did not know it was so invasive at the time I planted it.......

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

I always make my mint jelly by making an apple jelly (can be made from cores and peels) and adding vinegar. The chopped mint goes in at the very end. But since I am in the UK I don't process this so it would be unacceptable in the US. This recipe is similar to what I make. I do not use green colouring as I prefer it a natural colour. Indispensable with roast or grilled lamb and mutton.

Here is a link that might be useful: mint jelly

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

How to get rid of mint? Well first you have a fire accidentally spread all over the area. That takes out all the mint, everything else growing there, the nearby garden shed, and several trees. Once the fire is out and before the mint has a chance to re-sprout you take the tractor and box blade to the area several times to clean up all the mess.

Mint's gone but it's not a method I'd recommend. :-(

Dave

• uaskigyrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I decided to make mint jelly with half the pectin and when I want to use it I'll just thin it out with vinegar...

I don't know how I feel about this mint jelly. We shall see!