Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grlsixx_gw

New Book- "Preserving With Pomona's Pectin"

grlsixx
10 years ago

Hi All,
I just received an email from Amazon advertising a new book, "Preserving With Pomona's Pectin". Has anyone had a chance to check it out? Where can I buy Pomona's Pectin? I am interested in trying it out this year.

Best,
Heather

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon- Preserving with Pomona's Pectin

Comments (16)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They sell Pomona on amazon.com It is listed on the same page as the book. Otherwise you have to buy it online either from one of the canning supplies sites or from Pomona's website.

Dave

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

Haven't heard anything about the book, but I buy Pomona Pectin at Whole Foods.

• kastle
    10 years ago

Whole foods around here (DC area) carries it

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

I had the book on preorder and recieved it this week. I like it. It definately will help make learning to use the product easier. I also ordered the Pomona pectin at the same time as the book and they arrived together. I have not had a chance to use it yet.

If you are a fan of Pomona pectin, I would highly recommend the book. Being able to use a lower sugar product, along with alternative sweetners, is a real plus healthwise. While plain fruit jams sound delicious, they may actually be lacking in flavor. Adding lemon juice to a recipe could enhance the flavors,make the product a little more nutritious and a little safer in terms of PH. The book has taken the guesswork out of it. You can always use these recipes as a stepping stone for experiments.

I'm still a little unsure of the benefits of Pomona over lowsugar/no sugar Ball brand for example. Maybe someone could clarify that for me.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I'm still a little unsure of the benefits of Pomona over lowsugar/no sugar Ball brand for example. Maybe someone could clarify that for me.

When it comes to jams/jellies, I think personal preference. Mine is the Ball Low/No by far over Pomona. Some don't care for the citrus flavor change and very different mouth feel that Pomona makes. Bout all you can do is try both and see which you prefer.

But for other uses - which I assume this book addresses - then Pomona would seem to be more versatile.

Dave

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave - you have been a great help. I still have questions, but better start another thread for that.
    Carol

• grlsixx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, unfortunately we don't have Whole Foods (aka as "Whole Paycheck" in my household) up here in the sticks. I will have to order online like Dave. Maybe just a small order though, I wasn't aware of taste issues/mouth feel with Pomona Pectin. I like the idea of reducing sugar in my jams in jellies, but don't want to move to artificial sweeteners. Will have to experiment with low/no sugar and Pomona to see what we prefer.

Dave, what are the other uses you refer to above? What can you do with Pomona that you can't do with other brands? As always, I appreciate the good info!

Best,
    Heather

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Its uses in cooking is all on the Pomona website. Recipes, FAQs, where to buy, etc.

You can use it like any other thickener - flour, cornstarch, tapioca, etc. Pie fillings, gravies, puddings, aspic, fruit sauces, etc.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

With Pomona's you can use any kind of sweetener, like honey, agave, stevia, you name it. Then, you can double and triple recipes. Also, make up your own combo and it will gel. It will gel water. No additives, like dextrose, like other brands. No shelf life like other brands. It keeps forever. It costs about $4 to $5 for a box and makes 22 cups of jam. A box of other brands makes about 7 cups for approx. $3. Pomona's can be ordered in bulk, making it cheaper yet.
    It is the best there is as far as I am concerened. I also just got their book.
    Some cheese makers and yogurt makers are adding to their products, too. Instead of gelatin in yogurt, you can use the Pomona's.
    You can call them and they will help you figure out your own recipes. They are wonderful to deal with ! So down to earth.
    Plus, as a side note, I will have a photo of a group that I taught making jam with the Pomona on their new website. I will have a little note as to what I said. No pic of me, though. I got a preview from Mary Lou.
    No, I do not work for them in any manner. Just a happy person with the use of their product.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

WooWho!!! Got mine today in the mail. Ordered it off Ebay and it's brand new. Paid somewhere around $17 less than I would have through Amazon once you consider shipping. I use Pomona's and this book has made me want to start making preserves and jams today. Unfortunately, we're having a bake sale at the church tomorrow so today I have to be making fruit breads.

• quarryspoon
    10 years ago

Hi guys,

I actually work for the publishing company that put out Preserving with Pomona's Pectin. We're holding a giveaway for the book on our blog, SPOON.

http://www.quarryspoon.com/2013/06/a-jamtastic-giveaway-and-margarita.html

I really think it's a great book that has a ton of unique recipes. I was new to the whole world of jam-making and am now completely obsessed.

If you enter, good luck! Otherwise, it's so nice to hear you all talking about the book :)

Katie

Here is a link that might be useful: Quarry SPOON

• John__ShowMe__USA
    10 years ago

I Amazoned the book and is scheduled to be delivered June 15th. Original estimate was a couple weeks later, so they must have just gotten more in stock.

The pectin was delivered today. Only wanted a small amt and the Pomona site seemed the best deal. Only took 3 days. Link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pomonapectin.com/order/

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

For those who now have the book--is it as good as you had hoped? Just learned jams last year and found that I had the best luck with Pomona's and lowish sugar recipes.

• kai615
    10 years ago

balloonflower. I had the book when you asked the question, but had not yet spent anytime making anything with the book. Now that I have just spent the last week canning all my peaches and using a few recipes out of the book, I figured I would post and let everyone know what I think.

Last week I took the dive into Pamona's pectin for the first time. I ordered the 1/2 lb package from them directly and went to town. I was very pleasantly surprised at how quickly it arrived (3 days). Also, for the $31.00 I will consider it very cheap. I have now made about 55 1/2 pints of jams and jellies and it barely looks like I made a dent in the jar.

I made from the book, Maple-Vanilla-Peach Jam unchanged. This alone was worth the book. She states in the description of the book that she could eat this with a spoon and has been known to. I do not doubt that. For anyone keeping track of the sugar content, this recipe is only sweetened with maple syrup 3/4 cup for the batch of 4-5 1/2 pints.

I also made from the book the apricot pepper jelly. Only I had no apricots. So after checking here on GW and OKing the change I substituted peaches which of course I had plenty of. It was fantastic! In the book she suggests using it in grilled cheese sandwiches. I thought this sounded strange and honestly wouldn't have tried it, except hubby walked in and saw the recipe book open and said he wanted a grilled cheese sandwich slathered in the newly made jelly that I couldn't fit in the canner. I am very glad he did, they were very tasty and I have a new favorite way of eating a grilled cheese. It definitely looses it "fire" in the grilled cheese, but it adds tons of flavor- even fed it to the kids that way they LOVED it and my 3 year old HATES grilled cheese normally. This one is sweetened with 1 cup of honey for the 4-5 1/2 pint batch.

I also made (we will call it inspired by the book) a couple of different all fruit medleys. She has a recipe in the beginning of the book for cherry-peach all fruit jam. She then gives a list of other fruits you can substitute for the cherry or peach, or both if you would like to experiment. It is sweetened only with apple juice. The recipe is nothing outside of what you can make up with Pamona's sheet instructions. But to be honest, I probably wouldn't have done it without seeing it in the book, so I am giving the book credit. I made a no sugar mango/nectarine and then a no sugar peach (50%) mango (25%) nectarine (25%). Can you tell this was the last left over batch of the day? It was also my 4 year old's favorite and she has eaten it on everything since it's invention.

As an aside from the book review for anyone thinking about trying Pamona's for the first time, I have never used Pamona's before and I now understand what people mean by the odd texture. I don't find it bothersome, but it does gel differently. I guess that is what lets it gel no matter what. I will take the trade off however if it lets me give all fruit concoctions to my kids that they like better than the the ones with sugar. I can only really tell the texture difference if I am tasting it straight out of the jar with a spoon, not if it is on something.

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

Books-a-million has the book for $13.19 right now. Plus, they send all these coupons to use and get 20% off or other discounts, so it's even less than that. Plus free shipping if you're a millionaire club member.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I did go ahead and get the Kindle version to see how that worked. Haven't tried too much. Just dealt with 75 lbs of peaches, with some in the freezer, so may have to try the peach-maple. I generally do a peach chardonnay that I came up with using Pomona's. I did make the grape jelly with concord grapes which I am happy with. Also substituted champagne grape juice in for the peach in the champagne jam and am very happy with the result on that one as well. Great champagne flavor came through well, and both jellies sat up nicely, but not too firm. Mango-Lime was good, but not something to make on a regular basis--just something different. I usually figure if I get 5 really good recipes out of a cheaper cookbook, I'm happy enough. Pretty sure I'll get there with this one.