Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Freeze favas raw with the skin on? Skin off? Cooked?

spaghetina
14 years ago

I have an overabundance of favas, and I'd hate for them to go to waste, so I'm thinking of freezing them. In the thread about what people have put up, I saw that they could be frozen, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Would I shell them, and then just freeze them raw with the skin on? Shell, boil, then freeze? Shell, boil, skin, then freeze?

If I can/do freeze them raw with the skins on, when I boil them again, will the skins come off as easily as they did when they were fresh?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Shell, blanch 4 mins., ice bath cool then freeze.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to Freeze Shelled Beans

• cabrita
    14 years ago

This is my first year with enough to freeze. I have recently found that I like them peeled even if they are very young, so I am letting them get bigger (and peel, there is no way around peeling). So far I froze directly, like I do with other shellies, without cooking or peeling. I am hoping for an easy skinning on the thaw end, we'll see. I decided that I will steam 5 minutes, skin and freeze the next batch; if anything, for ease of use when getting out of the freezer.

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input, you two. :) I guess since I have to blanch them anyway, I might as well put in the extra time to peel them. I've been eating them raw with olive oil and fresh oregano lately, just to get around having to cook OR peel them, but I suppose I'd better stop being lazy and bite the bullet if I want to have any favas for later.

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

If you pick them young there is no need to skin the beans. I never bother. But then we eat all ours fresh and don't freeze them.

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

If you pick them young there is no need to skin the beans. I never bother. But then we eat all ours fresh and don't freeze them.

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I ended up shelling all the beans and then blanching, and now they're happily living in my freezer, although I have to admit that I had a difficult time of not munching on them as I was waiting for them to cool. I only ended up with a gallon-sized freezer bag, but that's the most of anything I've ever been able to store for later, so I'm ecstatic!

I now plan on growing favas year after year. Everything about the plants is wonderful, and it was such a thrill to yank them out earlier this week and see the roots loaded with little nitrogen nodule thingies. If I can't grow anything else, at least I know favas will be successful, lol.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

flora_uk, I was wondering what varieties do you grow? I was eating my young favas unpeeled, but some pods have more mature beans, so after peeling a batch I can't go back to unpeeled....So now I am growing the beans larger and peeling. For eating I harvest before the pods discolor. This is for Windsor, and perhaps some varieties do better unpeeled?

Spaghetina, I have become very fond of favas too, and looking forward to other varieties next season. When do you plant them in the bay area?

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

I have grown lots of varieties over the years. For Autumn sowing it's usually Aquadulce Claudia, or a version therof. For Spring sowing I've grown Witkiem major and Witkiem manita, Masterpiece Green Longpod, Bunyards Exhibition, Dreadnought and Jubilee Hysor. I've not grown any of the Windsors (of which there are several kinds). Favas (broad beans over here) are widely grown and maybe there are more to choose from here. To eat them at their best and without skinning the beans need to be small - no bigger than your thumbnail preferably. And the pods should be bright green and soft with the beans only just discernable through the skin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on broad beans