Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled Asparagus

Posted by tee_jay ID (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 11 at 11:34

Hello!

I am looking for a pickled asparagus recipe that is not sweet and is hot. In looking at Ball's pick a vegetable dill pickle recipe, it has more vinegar and less sugar than any of the other recipes that I can find (vinegar is 4 to 1 with water)

I would like to omit all if not most of the sugar. Safe?

I would like WAY more heat. With this high of a vinegar to water ratio is it ok to add more hot pepper and or garlic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled Asparagus

I don't see the recipe you're referring to and can't tell if you're referring to the Ball Blue Book or the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. It's always most helpful to have a specific book title and page number to speed up searching out the specific recipe. I think most of us are reluctant to make blanket recommendations with being able to see exactly what we're dealing with.

But to answer your question generally, you can always up the heat in the recipe by using dried peppers (dried whole red peppers are really attractive in the jar), whole black peppercorns, dried garlic flakes, etc. There's no risk with that method.

Carol

o

The Pickles to Relish book has got two hot pickled asparagus recipes with no sugar on p. 112. The wine vinegar to water ratio is 5:2, she uses quarts, and processing time for regular spears is 20 and fat spears is 25 minutes. It has Serrano peppers, carrots for decoration, celery stalks I guess for flavor, dill seed or pickling spice, mustard seed, garlic, salt, black peppercorns, oregano or fresh dill. She also has one that isn't hot and has optional sugar on p. 111. I made that one but haven't tried it yet.

o

Sorry... Ball complete book of home preserving page 16.

I think what I am looking for is something closer to the hot pickle recipe on 321 of the same book but with asparagus.

o

I'd just use the Dilled green beans recipe (Ball Complete, page 308)and add hot (dried) peppers to increase heat as you wish. No sugar and I use only asparagus, no other veggies (i.e. red pepper in the recipe).

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here