Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uaskigyrl

Bummed - Where are the Strawberries?!

uaskigyrl
10 years ago

I live in MD and it has been a slow warm up this "spring" and our strawberry fields have yet to open! Last week they said that this week was "supposed" to be sunny and the local farms were excited because they needed one more week or so of full sun before they opened their Pick-Your-Own fields. It's rainy 4 out of the 7 days, this week. End if May and we have yet to have a real strawberry season. *sigh*

I WANT MY STRAWBERRIES, DANG IT! I'm all out of strawberry jam :(

Just thought I'd vent *sigh*

Comments (7)

• PlantsAndYarn
    10 years ago

Well, at least you have had rain there. Here in OH it is very hot and dry already! It feels more like July than May.

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

The strawberries are at Walmart.......

Just kidding. But I have made two batches of freezer jam this week using those Walmart strawberries. The season here in the Ozarks is at least two weeks late and we did not have local strawberries for our canning club meeting this week to make surejel freezer jam. So we had to buy. Then I made a batch at home using Pomona pectin. Today, I bought more (from Walmart again) to make a batch using bulk pectin from a local Amish store as another experiment.

The surejel jam did not set very well, but it was incredible over a bowl of german chocolate ice cream.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

I bought strawberry plants a week or so ago and have already had two handfuls of very small ripe berries - and hadn't even planted them yet. Last night I got them planted in a trough resting on one of the top fence rails around my garden and hope very soon to have a lot of larger berries of my own. Strawberry preserves, strawberry syrup, strawberry muffins and bread. Hm-m-m, think I may have to buy more plants.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Been in the news quite a bit around here for a couple of months - late frosts and viral infections all down the Eastern seaboard mean a greatly reduced crop and much higher prices this year.

Lots of news on how the corn crop is also going to be greatly affected this year.

Much of the country is experiencing very unusual weather this spring so one can anticipate that many crops will be affected.

Dave

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

Made the third batch of strawberry freezer jam today using the same recipe as surejel, but with a bulk amish pectin that costs a fraction of the price. The results were the same as with the surejel only a better, firmer set. My neighbor has a small 100 plus year old store and they buy in bulk and repackage. Its really nice to have something like that here in a small community.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Our normal season is a couple of weeks away, we'll see.
    We had 2-3 weeks of "summer" weather in the high 70s and low 80s, yesterday it was 80+. Today......wind, rain, and 51 degrees. Forecast is for more cool weather for 2 weeks.

Who knows when or if we'll have a decent berry season.

Deanna

• uaskigyrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally got some strawberries!

I was picking up my CSA and was able to get a whole box of seconds for $15! I bought it because I'm nervous that the strawberry season won't long. Hopefully I can get another box in the near future but this will do for jam, at the moment!