Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddavisgray

candied jalapenos

ddavisgray
14 years ago

I recently bought a jar of Candied Jalapenos and they were really wonderful and I decided to can a few jars this year.

After an intense search of the internet, I couldn't come up with a recipe for canning Candied Jalapenos. I found Bread and Butter Jalapenos, but no Candied ones.

The only ingredents in the Candied Jalapenos are Jalapeno peppers, Sugar, Vinegar and Salt according to the ingredents listed on the jar.

I did find a recipe for Candied Jalapenos that makes less than 2 cups, but I don't believe it's safe to can and I would like to make more than a couple of cups. Here's the recipe:

Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapenos)

1 1/4 cup fresh jalapeno peppers--sliced

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1 drop green food coloring (optional)

Combine jalapenos slices, sugar and water in sausepan.

Over medium heat, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until jalapenos are cooked and liquid is reduced to a thick syrup.

Remove from heat and add a drop of food coloring if desired. Place in clean jar and refrigerate.

Can anyone help me increase the recipe and make it safe for canning?

Thank you in advance!!

doris

Comments (12)

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

I have this recipe for something similiar. Unfortunately I didn't note where I found it....
    You could certainly leave out the spices and garlic.
    It still doesn't look like enough vinegar to me, so cannot say if it's "approved" for canning. I wouldn't!!
    Check the Pepper Forum too! Those folks do amazing things with peppers!

COWBOY CANDY

1 ½ lb green jalapenoÂs, sliced
    1 ½ lb ripe red jalapenoÂs, sliced
    2 sweet yellow onions, sliced
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    4 cups sugar
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 Tbsp mustard seed
    4-5 cloves fresh garlic, sliced thin
    Pinch of salt Slice Jalapenos into 1/4" slices and slice the onions. I suggest wearing rubber gloves while handling the jalapenos and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!

Place jalapenos & onions in pan with water and vinegar and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer/steam until tender (about 10 minutes.) Do not breath fumes. Pour off the mixture into a strainer, reserving ½ cup of the water and vinegar.

Return the ½ cup water/vinegar liquid to the pan, and add the sugar and spices, cook for a few minutes to completely disolve the sugar...then return the peppers & onions and the sliced garlic to the pan with the sugar/spice syrup. Mix well, and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

Place boiling mixture into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Put on caps and place rings on snugly. Process in boiling water bath for about 5 minutes. Cool & refrigerate after opening a jar.

Now, once you've made the candied jalapenos....and have a jar of them in the fridge \- for a special treat, try mixing some of them 50/50 with Smucker's Peach Preserves for a FANTASTIC peach/jalapeno chutney! Great with smoked pork loin, grilled chicken, etc. Deanna
  • cabrita
    14 years ago

from Grandma's kitchen, this is the version i would like to make (I have lots of jalapenos coming my way)

CANDIED JALAPENOS

1 gallon sliced jalapenos
    4 pounds of sugar
    canning jars

Drain jalapenos, pour 4 pounds of sugar over the peppers and let sit to make its own juice. Bring to a boil and cook until peppers take on a candied look. Pour into jars and turn upside down to seal. Serve after 2 weeks (earlier if you can't wait.) Pour some over large block of cream cheese that is at room temperature. Use as a spread on Waverly wafers or use chips.

First of all, does this look safe? would sterilized jars and BWB be better? do you guys think that there is liquid remaining? would this be like jalapenos in syrup? how about adding a little salt to the above recipe?

Any idea how to actually make them as candy? solid I mean? how about candying the whole pepper? anyone has done this?

Here is a link that might be useful: grandma's kitchen blog

• melva02
    14 years ago

Cabrita, that does not look safe. There is no added acid, so you are at risk for botulism. The only thing that increases the safety in that recipe is that the sugar will help bind up the water from the peppers and make it less available to botulism, but I definitely wouldn't bet my life on that.

As you noticed, the fact that the recipe doesn't include processing ("turn upside down" only) implies that it is not a tested safe recipe, so that calls the whole recipe into question.

I would go with something more like a bread and butter recipe but add more sugar. I don't think more sugar would be a safety issue.

As for solid candied jalapenos, I think you still want to acidify them first, because otherwise any lingering water could harbor botulism. Remember candied fruit has its own acid.

Maybe Carol will chime in with a candied cucumber recipe she's mentioned. Or maybe you could try Linda Lou's sweet pickle chunks (but ask her if it's ok to use on peppers).

Good luck!

Melissa

• ddavisgray
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions.

The recipe Cabrita mentioned above uses store-bought or pre-canned jalapenos, and after making the 'candied jalapenos' storing them in the refrigerater. The Cowboy Candy recipe is pretty much the same as the Bread & Butter Jalapenos I mentioned.

Melissa, Thnak you. The problem with not using the proper canning methods is my biggest concern. After all, I don't want to make my family sick. But I really want to put up Candied Jalapenos this year.

I was wondering if a person can substitute Jalapenos for pickles and use a pickle recipe?

The ones I ate don't have the spices normally used in sweet pickles or bread and butter pickles. Only sugar,vinager,water, and salt.

I hope someone can help me out, Linda Lou? Carol? Anyone??

thanks,
    doris

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

I know they are not Candied Jalapenos, but they are really good. I send them by the case to my Uncle in Texas. He can't get enough of them.

Jay

Here is a great canning recipe for Jalapenos. I probably made over 50 pints last year.

Recipe: Bread and Butter Jalapenos

This makes a very tasty and spicy addition to almost any meal.
    Bread and Butter Jalapenos
    4 lbs jalepeno peppers
    2 lbs onions
    3 cups vinegar
    2 cups sugar
    2 Tbs mustard seed
    2 tsp turmeric
    2 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp ginger
    Wash and cut jalapenos and onions into thin slices and cold pack into jars (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience!). I usually chop all the onions and pepper and dump in a 2 gallon ziptop bag, then mix. Place remaining ingredients in large saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour hot mixture into jars,leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water
    bath. Yield: about 7 Pints.

I always make 1.5 batches of brine, there never seems to be enough. I also run everything through a food processor. It makes it alot easier to prepare.

Good Luck!

• ddavisgray
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jay,

Thanks for the Bread & Butter Jalapenos, I like your recipe and procedure better than the one I have.

Thanks for the help.

There's something about these Jalapenos that get you hooked. I'm spending a fortune at $6.50 a jar because we can't get enough of them. They're great with just about anything.

So while looking and waiting, I'm gonna fix your recipe.

Waiting but not unproductive,
    doris

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Doris, sorry about that, I did not realize they were already from a can! this does not work for me either, I am looking to process fresh (from the garden instead of a can). Melva, thanks for addressing the safety concern. I like Jay's recipe too, thanks!

I still would like to know if they can be 'candied' solid. I did this with lemon slices but of course, lemon has a much higher acidity. However, I see other fruit candied that has much lower acidity than lemons.

Plenty of time to search. I have my first 3 little Jalapenos of the year growing well from one of the overwintered plants, but we also started lots of new jalapeno seedlings. I was never so enthusiastic about jalapenos until we started growing them and find them extremely versatile. They make wonderful pickles of many types and they smoke great too!

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

Ahhhhhh,,,, the new jalapeno recipe I must try. Sounds most interesting.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

dgkritch: I can't find the pepper forum. Do you have a link?

• vic01
    14 years ago

The pepper forum is under chile peppers or hot peppers, either way you will get to the right forum.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Pepper Forum

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

Thanks so much!