Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb Sauce

Posted by melfield 5b Wyoming (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 11:53

Has anyone ever put up Rhubarb Sauce (or anything else w rhubarb)? I make it just like applesauce, but w rhubarb. The kids and I love - especially on ice cream (yum!). I have tons of rhubarb coming in now and love to make a bunch of the sauce and can it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb Sauce

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:31

We can as much Stewed Rhubarb sauce as we can get each sping. Also can rhubarb syrup, Strawberry-Rhubarb jam and jars of rhubarb pie filling. It also freezes well chopped and then can be used later for most anything.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave!!

o

Dave I would love your rhubarb pie filling recipe if you don't mind sharing it. I usually make a rhubarb sauce that I freeze but pie filling that I could can sounds really good.

o

Just a point I noticed in digdirt's recipe. It said to use rhubarb from a spring or late fall crop. That advice is very much climate dependent and appears to be aimed at places where rhubarb goes dormant in the summer. In more temperate climates where rhubarb grows all summer the late fall stems can be very stringy and tough. So if that's your climate don't use late rhubarb.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 14 at 18:54

Good point floral!

Rhubarb Pie Filling -

For each quart:

3 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced, blanched and drained
3/4 cups (more or less to taste)
1/4 cup+ 1 T. Clear Jel***
1 cup water
3 T. bottled lemon juice
3-4 gtts red food coloring (optional but good if using green rhubarb)

Blanch rhubarb in boiling water for 1 minute and drain.

Combine sugar, Clear Jel, and water and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stir in lemon juice and boil 1 minute, Stir well to avoid scorching.

Mix in rhubarb and fill the hot jar. Leave 1" headspace. Process in BWB canner for 30 minutes adjusting for altitude.

*** We don't like Clear Jel so we don't use it and can without it. We then use our preferred thickener - cornstarch - after opening the jars to make the pies. If you use it I would suggest cutting the recommended amount it in half unless you like really stiff pie filling.

Dave

o

Thank you again, Dave! I put up lots of Stewed Rhubarb yesterday and there is still lots left on the plants. This recipe will be "Rhubarb ... Round 2".

o

Looks like a great recipe! Thank you for sharing Dave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here