Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melfield_wy

Rhubarb Sauce

melfield_wy
9 years ago

Has anyone ever put up Rhubarb Sauce (or anything else w rhubarb)? I make it just like applesauce, but w rhubarb. The kids and I love - especially on ice cream (yum!). I have tons of rhubarb coming in now and love to make a bunch of the sauce and can it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

We can as much Stewed Rhubarb sauce as we can get each sping. Also can rhubarb syrup, Strawberry-Rhubarb jam and jars of rhubarb pie filling. It also freezes well chopped and then can be used later for most anything.

Dave

• melfield_wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave!!

• Christina818
    9 years ago

Dave I would love your rhubarb pie filling recipe if you don't mind sharing it. I usually make a rhubarb sauce that I freeze but pie filling that I could can sounds really good.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Just a point I noticed in digdirt's recipe. It said to use rhubarb from a spring or late fall crop. That advice is very much climate dependent and appears to be aimed at places where rhubarb goes dormant in the summer. In more temperate climates where rhubarb grows all summer the late fall stems can be very stringy and tough. So if that's your climate don't use late rhubarb.

• melfield_wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again, Dave! I put up lots of Stewed Rhubarb yesterday and there is still lots left on the plants. This recipe will be "Rhubarb ... Round 2".

• Christina818
    9 years ago

Looks like a great recipe! Thank you for sharing Dave.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner