Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raw chard to cooked ratio

Posted by erin_nc 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 11 at 11:57

Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I've searched and searched and my key word combos didn't bring up anything. I also Googled everything I could think of.

I am serving an elegant dinner for about 20. Part of the main course includes Swiss Chard with Garlic. I'm trying to figure out how much Swiss Chard to pick. As you know, chard cooks down significantly just like spinach and mushrooms.

Anyone know how many people 1 pound of raw chard will serve assuming cooked 1/2 cup servings? (Yes, I agree... who could eat just 1/2 cup? Let's assume 1/2 cup for the math.)

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate the advice.

Erin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raw chard to cooked ratio

Just a ballpark figure - per NCHFP 18-20 lbs. of raw gets you 8-9 pints cooked. If a pint is 2 servings (like in our house) then you'd need approx. 20-25 lbs. of raw for 20 people.

But if you use the four 1/2 cup servings per pint (1 pint=2 cups) then theoretically you'd need 10 lbs. raw for 20 people. But I'd sure make extra! :)

Dave

o

Dave,

I've been following your threads for a long time. Once again you come to the rescue. Thank you!!!! Brilliant!

I agree about making extra. I think I could eat my own weight in chard with garlic.

Thanks again,
Erin

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, May 20, 11 at 10:38

Erin, my father in law would have loved you ;-) Chard with garlic, kale with garlic, spinach with garlic....all table staples and all from his garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here