Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In regards to Apple Sauce, Pressure vs. Water Bath?

Posted by bksinaz z9 AZ (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 12:04

I just harvested my apple tree and can bathed some cinnamon apple sauce. I was also reading on the "Ball" site that you can do both, the water bath or pressure.

As far as this apple sauce, what would be the difference? Would one have longer shelf life?

I guess the bottom line is, when it comes to fruit products, why would someone pick water bath over pressure or visa versa?

This post was edited by bksinaz on Mon, May 26, 14 at 12:30

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In regards to Apple Sauce, Pressure vs. Water Bath?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 14 at 18:59

One reason is the shorter processing time and low pressure with PC supposedly results in less loss of nutrition according to NCHFP. It also uses less energy and you get less boil over than when you BWB it. And it uses lots less water.

For me it is primarily convenience. If I am already PC other foods why drag out the BWB? If not... your choice.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Mon, May 26, 14 at 19:00

o

I prefer to pressure can apple sauce. It's really easy. I made 7 quarts the other day, plus two quarts juice from the cores. I would normally use my juicer and a strainer but they are packed and ready to move so the sauce is just immersion blended and juice was made by boiling cores, smashing and straining.

o

By the time you vent, bring the pressure up or down, etc., it's not faster to pressure can applesauce. However, PC does keep the kitchen cooler. It's really just a personal choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here