Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Ghosts? BWB? Pressure Canner? Low Acid?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 12:14

LOL -- I know this is a silly, off topic post! So, bear with me.

The DJ's on a local radio station, Mix 96.7 FM Windsor-Tecumseh, Ontario, were discussing one of the DJ's new project, a flower garden. Somehow, the discussion turned to vegetable gardening, harvesting, canning, and the DJ with the new flower garden mentioned it was something she would like to learn. The other DJ commented that, a few years ago, someone tried to sell a "Ghost" in a canning jar on Ebay for thousands of dollars.

Had to google it -- it's true! Someone tried to sell a "ghost" in a mason jar for over $50,000. Of course, the transaction was never finalized as the buyer backed out. Pretty funny.

I instantly thought of the Harvest forum. If anyone would know how to properly can ghosts, the regulars here would!

So, when canning your ghosts, do you do a boiling water bath? Or, is it a low acid food, and do you need to use a pressure canner? How can you prepare ghost -- pickled, made into sauce? Do you can ghosts whole, or cut them into pieces or slices?

LOL, it was funny and it made my day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Ghosts? BWB? Pressure Canner? Low Acid?

Here's the canned ghost. I'm sure we here could do a much better presentation than the one in the image!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ghost in a canning jar, only $51K on Ebay

o

At least density shouldn't be an issue!

Hmm, what about djinn? If you can put one in a lamp, why not a canning jar?

o

Well, that would work, too, I guess. Barbara Eden was trapped in that lamp for 2000 years until Larry Hagman let her out, don't you know?

o

And here I thought you had questions about ghost PEPPERS!

This is much funnier! :)

Deanna

o

All my ghosts are so old that while there isn't much meat left on their bones they still require pressure canning just to tenderize them.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here