Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Sauerkraut

ruthieg__tx
12 years ago

I had no intention of starting sauerkraut this week or even of harvesting cabbage but we had several days of drizzle and one day of rain storms and one of my cabbages split.....I didn't want to leave it out there for critters or mold so I harvested it and last night I sliced it to ferment. I love homemade kraut.

Comments (7)

• canfan
    12 years ago

Here is what I made the other night. Some day I'll make my own Pizza dough but this turned out really good. This is a recipe of my own making... had Sauerkraut Pizza in Clarkston Wa that was the best... so this is my version:

Semi Homemade Sauerkraut Pizza

1 papa Murphy's pizza crust
    2 baggies papa Murphy's shredded cheese
    1 was 2-3 cups of cheese mozzarella - I think
    2nd one was about 3/4 - 1 cup shredded mix of cheddar/mozzarella used this for the topping

Mustard sauce -
    Stone ground mustard
    Mayo
    1/2 teas of ground horseradish
    black pepper to taste

Smear the mustard sauce on the crust
    spread on the cheese - hold some back to top off the pizza
    sprinkle about some thinly sliced onion
    spread on squeezed dry home made sauerkraut
    cover with cooked/sliced specialty sausage of your choice (I pre cooked andouilli in beer)
    covered with remaining cheese
    cooked @ 425 for 13 or so min

Drink with the beverage of your choice

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Last time I made sauerkraut, I added an apple and an onion for every 5 lbs. Also, a little caraway. It was the best sauerkraut ever!
    I've also found I like red sauerkraut better than green, so much prettier!

• canfan
    12 years ago

Does the red 'kraut hold its color when cooked? I have been thinking about trying a small batch this year. I also add caraway when cooking.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

tracydr writes: "Last time I made sauerkraut, I added an apple and an onion for every 5 lbs. Also, a little caraway. It was the best sauerkraut ever!
    I've also found I like red sauerkraut better than green, so much prettier!"

Me too! I use Granny Smith 'sour' apples, the caraway seeds and also a few dried juniper berries that have to be plucked out b4 eating the kraut.

canfan: "Does the red 'kraut hold its color when cooked?"

Yes, at least in my experience.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Like you Ruthie, kraut wasn't on the agenda today but neither was all the rain. Like we needed more rain! :(

So kraut making it is. I'm trying a combo of bejay's "in the jar" plus John's plastic gloves tops. I'll see if I can get my gloves to blow up like his does rather than my jars blowing up as they have in the past. :)

Only extra added to this batch of green cabbage was a smidge of sugar.

Meanwhile the first batch in the big 2 gallon jar is done and in the fridge and we have the rye bread, the pastrami, the 1000 Island dressing and the swiss cheese so tonight is grilled Ruben sandwiches for supper.

Dave

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Ruthie, I froze my sauerkraut because I like it crispy. I did however, use it in cooked dishes and it held it's color very nicely. It's very, very pink!

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've never added sugar and I am guessing it is to help start the fermentation....Do you think it is something I should do...

Yum the ruben's sound so good........

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH