Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning sweet onion recipe/safe??????

Posted by rosajoe zone9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 14:09

I recently retired back to my small hometown in GA. I am blessed to be in the middle of the Vidalia sweet onion farms. I want to can some of the onions and I found this recipe. Does it sound safe to you?? I have the recipe that has been posted on the Net by the farmers and I wanted something with more onions than anything else.
I want to thank many of you for the wonderful canning recipes and tips you have posted. I trust your opinions and advice far more than mine LOL.
Thanking You In Advance Rosa

canning/ sweet onion relish
2 T celery seed
2 t salt

Combine all ingredients in a non reactive pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min. Ladel relish into clean hot jars with 1/2 in headspace. Cap and seal. Process for 10 min in boiling water bath, adjust for altitude.

This is pretty tasty on hot dogs, you definatly want it to sit for 2 weeks before you open a jar for flavors to marry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning sweet onion recipe/safe??????

Yes, it's fine.

Carol

o

The recipe is not complex and appears to be quite safe to can. Because the Vidalias are very sweet, a cup of sugar may be a bit much, but its to your taste however, and would not impact safety if you added a little less. Adding a little tumeric for that noticable yellow color may also be used.

o

Thank you very much for your replies. Yes, I would like to add less sugar. I have made tomato sauces with the fresh onions and the sauces turn out very sweet with no sugar.
Could I possibly add 1/4 cup or even omit the sugar completely.
Thank you Rosa

o

Sure.

Carol

o

Thank you very much, I love this forum as much as I do the many other forums on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of you are so very generous with your knowledge, it is appreciated.
Bless you and yours and have a great week.
Rosa

o

I have found that if you still want a little more sweetness and no sugar, a very small amount of Splenda works well too. I use it here for most sweet pickle brines and if it were measured cup for cup as in sugar, it would be way too sweet for many one to enjoy. Instead, I only add maybe a couple of tablespoons of Splenda to do almost the same sweetening compared to many cups of sugar.

o

Can you use water instead of vinegar in order to keep the original taste of the onion.

o

Linda, much time has passed since you posted, but for others wondering the same question: No, you can't use water instead of vinegar in this recipe. The vinegar changes the pH of the recipe, which is necessary to create the acidic environment to prevent botulism spores from growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here