Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Digdirt - Canning Pulled Pork

bcskye
10 years ago

In your Jan. 2011 post you described canning pint jars of your pulled pork and said you want the jar contents a bit soupy, Does this mean a half jar of the pulled pork and the rest liquid? I have a very large pork butt that I will be shredding and canning but didn't know if I should follow the amounts for soups, half veggies and half liquid. I don't want to use any more liquid than necessary, but I don't want to jeopardize the meat not being canned properly because of not enough liquid.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Don't need 1/2 and 1/2 more like 3/4 meat and 1/4 liquid. Not sure how best to describe it - a "little sloppy" maybe? You just want it to move freely in the jar if you were to tip it or invert it. Know what I mean?

Wife says - "so when you dump the jar into a pan to warm it up to eat you don't have to add any more liquid to keep it from sticking." Make sense?

Dave

• bcskye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, that makes sense, Dave. Thank you for your prompt answer. I can't wait to get it put up and will be watching for more good buys on the pork. And tell your wife I said thank you to her, too.

• Charcuterie
    10 years ago

Do you use the NCHFP Bar B Q sauce Digdirt?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

No I usually just can pulled pork, not necessarily Bar-b-Q pulled pork. Just the pulled pork and the spices and roasting juices. Then you can add your sauce of choice or whatever after opening.

Dave

• PirateJeni
    10 years ago

NEVER MIND: I think I found it.

Not to revive an old thread.... (ok.. maybe I am) but I'm intrigued by this... I can't seem to find the aforementioned January 2011 post.. could someone direct me to it? Here is a link that might be useful: [The aforementioned link, I think.](http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0111492013961.html) This post was edited by PirateJeni on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 16:23
  • 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I've got a whole pork loin (10 lbs) taking up room in my freezer, we like pulled pork but I usually do it in the slow cooker.

Once I thaw the loin out (have to empty the bottom shelf of my fridge to do that), I'd like to cut it into roasts and cook it all at once rather than refreeze 2/3 of it.

But can anybody tell me how many pints of pulled pork 10 lbs will make? And should it be cooked thoroughly (I usually cook it in vinegar and tomatoes, then add some BBQ sauce after shredding), or slightly undercooked, as the NCHFP instructions for "meat strips" say to cook until rare?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

As to the cooking, see the Carnitas discussion further down the page. It is the continuation of this discussion.

Amounts - can't say with any accuracy, probably around 8-9 pints.. Depends on how much the meat cooks down, how much you shred it, what the fat content of it is, what liquids you choose to add, etc.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Thanks - just wanted to make sure I had the jars, and I'd like to be able to do it in 1 batch. I have to learn how to use my new PC first, but nice to know that I can get this huge piece of meat out of my freezer soon.

I too have trouble remembering to take things out to thaw for dinner (and sometimes our dinner plans change, and I find myself with something thawed and ready to use but no time to cook it because of some kid's activity!). It will be nice to have something that just requires reheating.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor