Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Cauliflower Recipies Anyone?

Posted by Chris_CL 5b (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 14:47

Ok I have a bunch of cauliflower to eat now, and I'm going to freeze some of it, but most of my stored harvest this year is going to be from a fall crop of everything.

Does anyone have any delicious cauliflower recipies? We are starting to get tired of steamed cauliflower with cheese. I looked on food network and there's no way to sort them based on goodness and popularity. As much as everyone knows on here I figured I'd ask you all your favorite cauliflower recipies.

One of my dad's favorites is steamed whole cauliflower with spicy mustard mayonnaise and shredded cheddar spread over the top. I'll try and find the recipe here in a moment

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Cauliflower Recipies Anyone?

Cauliflower with Mustard Sauce (imaginative name, no?)

Steam the whole head of cauliflower for 15-20 minutes, depending on size, making sure to lift the lid and release steam 2-3 minutes in to let off sulfur compounds that may have formed.

You can also cut the head into florets for a shorter cook time and easier serving, steam them 3-6 min until tender crisp.

Sauce:
1/2 Cup mayo
2 tsp. Dry mustard, ground
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder

Mix well and spread over steamed whole head, or mix in with steamed florets. Finish with a sprinkle of shredded cheese of your choice, if you wish. to melt the cheese you can put it in a bowl and cover with saran wrap.

To serve you can cut the florets off with a spoon or knife or portion out quarters of the head.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant cauliflower head

o

One of our personal favorites is Pickled Cauliflower and we add it to Pickled Mixed Vegetables too.

Below I linked a bunch of threads about cauliflower recipes from over on the Cooking forums here at GW.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Cauliflower recipes

o

Roasted. Cut it up, roll it in a bit of olive oil and roast until it's starting to brown. Flip it occasionally. Add some thinly sliced garlic and cook for a few more minutes. It can be augmented with lemon, smoked paprika, or garam masala as you see fit.

o

Another vote for roasted. Is the only way my youngest will eat it.

o

Boiled, mashed, then treat like mashed potatoes.
A little sour cream, butter, chives, salt and pepper!
Straight or mix with actual potatoes.

Roasted is also my favorite way.
Fresh with any variety of dips.
Awesome pickled.
Cream of cauliflower soup.

If you end up with "too much" at one time, just blanch 3 minutes and freeze in ziplocs. Decide what to do with it later. Nice problem to have!

Deanna

o

Mashed cauliflower makes a wonderful topping for Shepherd's pie.

Many low-carbers or paleo diet followers make cauli-rice. Basically chopping it in such a way to make a substitute for rice.

I like to boil it for a few minutes and then put it under the broiler with some parmesan and also find it good in a stir-fry. It is also good roasted with tomatoes and feta and mint.

o

Cauliflower Leek Soup
1-2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
1 T butter (or more!)
1/2 c. White wine
1 Cauliflower cut into pieces
1-2 pint chicken broth
1/2 c. Sour cream
1 T Dijon mustard

Cook leeks in butter gently until soft. Add wine and raise heat to reduce by half. Add cauliflower and enough broth to cover. Cook until cauliflower is very soft. Pur�e with remaining ingredients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here