Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can refrigerator pickles be canned?

Posted by jennieboyer 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 14:56

Hi - Can a recipe for refrigerator pickles (hot or cold pack straight to refrigerator) be canned? I'd like to make a bigger batch for preserving. Can I just follow the same recipe and BWB can them? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can refrigerator pickles be canned?

It's hard to generalize without looking at a specific recipe, but speaking generally the answer is No.

Refrigerator pickles frequently have a lower ratio of vinegar to water and would not be safely shelf-stable if canned.

In fact, some refrigerator pickle recipes have been pulled by Extension agencies because even with refrigeration there was the risk of listeria.

With the many many safe-canning recipes available, there's no benefit in canning one designed for refrigeration. Beyond that, if refrigerating a recipe, be sure that it's one that follows current guidelines.

Carol

o
RE: Can refrigerator pickles be canned?

Agree with Carol. Many of the old 'family recipes' for fridge pickles are no longer considered safe because of listeria - a bacteria no one knew about in Grandma's and Mama's day - so make sure you are using a safe recipe.

And I don't think you would like the effect processing would have on most fridge pickle recipes even it is was safe to do so. It tends to make them go soft or mushy.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here