Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BWB for Pomona Pectin jams

Posted by kristineca z10 CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 14:59

Greetings. I had set out to make two different Ferber strawberry jam recipes. I finished one yesterday and found it too sweet for my taste. And not worth all the hassle. So I changed plans and converted the rest of the prepared fruit into a low sugar jam made with Pomona Pectin. The flavor is fine, but I'm not that keen on the Pomona textures, but I knew that before making it.

I put the jam into mostly 1/2 pint jars with lids and rings but wasn't planning on a water bath. Then realized it was low sugar, so thought I would freeze it. Then realized that there probably isn't enough head room in those jars for freezing. Then thought maybe I better give it a BWB.

Is it too late for a BWB? The jam is a few hours old and still warm. Will a BWB break the set at this point? If it's too late or risky for the BWB, is the best bet to transfer the jam to freezer containers with sufficient head room? Thanks! Kristine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BWB for Pomona Pectin jams

I'd freeze it. But since there's no need for a true seal, scoop a bit out of each jar and replace the lid.
Freeze.

Deanna

o

Thanks for your reply. Freezing is what I did. I just came from the kitchen, having wrapped up the Strawberry Jam 2001 Debacle. I ended up opening the jars from both the Pomona batch the Ferber batch and mixed them all together in a bowl. It improved the texture and taste of both batches. The Pomona produces jam I always think of as a little too gelatin-ey for my taste. And the Ferber was too sweet. So it was a gain to mix them. I put it up into jars and plastic containers with enough head room and it's in the freezer.

Now, for some good ideas how to use it. My husband is the only one who likes strawberry jam. So I'm going to need to bake with it or make ice cream or something.....

o

Bar cookies maybe??? Layer of oatmeal/cookie dough, layer of jam, another layer of oatmeal dough and bake.

I need to do the same with my excess of jams in the cupboard.

Deanna

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, May 13, 11 at 4:08

Do you have the California Gold Bars recipe? My neighbor turned me to it, she had made them for her husband for years and years. Good as written with the apricot, but I use whatever jam or jelly I have on hand, particularly like them with cherry preserves - your strawberry fan husband should like them with your strawberry spread...

Here is a link that might be useful: California Gold Bars

o

That looks like a quick and easy bar recipe. I'll give it a try! Thanks for posting.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here