Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harveyhorses

Benifits of Canning over Freezing?

harveyhorses
11 years ago

I have managed to make it this long in life without ever having to can anything. I freeze, mostly tomatoes and their offshoots. I have been told twice this week (by the You Should Brigade) that I really need to start canning. Freezing has been working really well for me, so if it aint broke don't fix it, or is canning really that much better?

please speak in words of one sylable or less ;)

I did manage to get completley sucked into the recipe thread.

I tried to do a search on this but I guess I was not using the right terms.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Main advantage IMO is the much longer storage life that canned goods have over freezing. Multiple years compared to 6 months.

Then there is the power outage issue that can cost you a whole freezer full of stuff unless you have a back-up generator. That's especially applicable to we folks living the rural life.

Flavor and texture issue - some things just taste better canned instead of frozen.

No freezer burn. No need to defrost and don't even need to cook many canned goods.

Packaging supplies for canning are mostly re-useable while much used for freezing is not.

Just some thoughts on what is a fairly common dilemma and question.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I think for most of us there are things we can and things we freeze. With time you discover some foods just taste better frozen, others canned.

Freezing offers preservation with none of the potential safety issues of sealing foods in jars which is the big one as far as I'm concerned.

If you're inclined to experiment with your recipes (i.e. play with your food), then freezing is the no-risk option.

Canning offers longevity, freedom from power issues in areas where it's unreliable and portability. Canned goods, especially gourmet sweet preserves, pickles and sauces are wonderful for gifting.

Neither is necessarily cost-effective compared to careful purchase of commercial products. I see it as more of a lifestyle choice that places the highest value on quality and self-sufficiency.

Carol

• harveyhorses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm, didn't realise the shelf life was that much longer.
    Generator check, I live in the burbs and loose power more than when I was three miles down a dirt road!
    Most of what I freeze does not make it till spring.
    I have one of the suck the air out of it things.
    (and no I do not mean a straw!)

I can't think that sauces would taste that much different, so thanks I think I will keep doing what I have been doing. Mostly tomatoes for soups and stews and pasta sauce. and I really don't like people to tell me what I MUST do. I'm kinda stubborn like that. Of course I am counting my tomatoes before they hatch, but that's part of the fun!
    Thanks Dave.

• Deborah-SC
    11 years ago

I also think the amount you have to put up & how long you plan on storing it is a factor -- at least it is for me.

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

For me, it's about space and flavor/texture preference.
    We buy 1/4 side of beef and 1/2 of a hog and that consumes a lot of freezer space. Add in all the berries, some veggies (corn) semi-prepared foods and leftovers (i.e. spaghetti sauce, mashed potatoes, etc.) and I'm quickly out of freezer space.

I prefer certain things canned like carrots, green beans, peaches, pears, salsa, chicken (old layers for stew, etc.).

Some things are better frozen like corn, leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower.

For the way we eat and the space available, I take advantage of both. If your system is working, the I say the "You Shoulds" should leave it alone. Just because they say it, doesn't mean you have to listen! :)

Deanna

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Canned green beans are my #1, Tomatoes #2, the taste and texture is so much better than frozen. Corn is better, at least to me, frozen.

Speaking of the sucking the air out thingy's, I use a pot of water for stuff that has liquid. I fill the bags and carefully lower the in to the water. It pushes all of the air out of the freezer bag then I zip it!

It also works for pretty good for things without liquid.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

When I have a few green beans, I freeze. When I have a huge amount, then I can them. I have no problem using a commercial can of tomatoes in a recipe, but I like to have my own home canned salsa. I like corn on the cob, but it really takes a lot of freezer space which I would rather use for beef and pork. I freeze broccoli and asparagus. Some things I only use fresh from my garden, and will continue to buy them fresh when they are not in season here. I buy fresh through a co-op in winter.

I have found that I can grow salad greens into December with just a small amount of protection.

I save all of the fresh onions that I will use for about four months, and I chop and freeze the rest in half-cup size portions. I chop peppers and freeze them in gallon bags and just shake out what I need. I make some bags with just sweet peppers, then I make others with a spicy mix of sweet and hot. In the fall when I have lots of red, green, and yellow peppers, I prepare at least a gallon in the freezer cut in strips to use in fajitas during the winter.

I have a friend that dehydrates vast quantities of cherry tomatoes, but I haven't mastered that process yet. I do like dried apples, but when I have apples, I usually make Apple Pie Jam, apple pie filling, apple sauce and butter, and apples for cooking. I love hot pepper jelly.

If I have extra okra, I like to freeze it. I only grow enough potatoes for "new" potato usage, and I don't have room for corn, either in the garden or in the freezer. Last time I had corn, I canned corn relish.

Jars and canning supplies are not cheap, so if canning doesn't give you what you like to eat, then eat it fresh or freeze it. Each to his own.

• pattypan
    11 years ago

my main beef with canning is it's so darn hot in aug. and sept.! then add standing over the stove and boiling water? so i only suffer for dilly beans and pickled beets. we have a generator, but i do appreciate the "off the grid" aspect of canned goods. since i've discovered roasting tomatoes and no safe canning recipe, i've found freezing them works well. then who needs sauce ? and i cheat : i roast the tomatoes long enough for the juices to flow, strain them to freeze the juice, and then add olive oil and roast them down. that's a twofer in my book. i freeze everything but soup stock ( including all the blanching water) in canning jars packed in cardboard boxes. that's why i need 2 freezers! i just don't like plastics....no should dos here, just explore the options.

• bcskye
    11 years ago

I was a victim of losing an entire freezer load of food during a power outage. This was prior to having a generator. Plus, I only have one large upright freezer so space does become an issue. Like many others, I have preferences on which veggies we like frozen and which we like canned. Then there are some that you shouldn't can. Do your own thing and don't worry about what others say you should do, but however you do it, do it properly so your preserved food is safe to eat.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz