Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

onion storage - red onions

pqtex
11 years ago

I have a bounty of onions that have been curing on my back porch for the last 3 weeks and it's time to prepare them for storage, either in the freezer or pantry. This is my first year to have the red (purple?) onions in addition to the yellow and white. I'm finding they are too wet to dry store and I'm wondering about the quality/uses frozen. I like using frozen white onions in cooking, but I'm not sure of the red ones. Any suggestions or input for the best storage/uses for the red/purple onions?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

We dehydrate most all of ours for long term storage but they will also freeze well. Just chop, measure into bags and label amounts, and vacuum seal in plastic bags and freeze.

Dave

• pqtex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm really wanting to know how the red ones do after freezing. I've had good success with the white and yellow, but I only use them for cooking once they've been frozen. I usually use the red ones as raw condiments instead of cooking with them, so I was wondering about the uses after being frozen.

I've dehydrated onions before, but never use them as much as frozen ones.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sorry I wasn't clear but it is red onions I was talking about. They can be used just like the whites and yellows in cooking and other than a little darker color, no difference. You wouldn't want to toss them in salads of course where you can do that with dehydrated ones but otherwise you can use them any way you would the other colors.

A handful of dried onions can be tossed into spaghetti sauce, chili, stews, soups, salad dressings, casseroles, meatloaf, etc. without even rehydrating them. You can also grind them up for onion powder.

Dave

• pqtex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, thanks.

I've got my dehydrator ready to go, and I'll try drying a load of them. I'll also do some for the freezer (I haven't cared for the dark color when cooking with them, but I guess they taste the same).

I put a load of whites and yellows in my big crockpot and I'm trying a batch of carmelized onions, which I've never done before. I'll put those in the freezer when done.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Jill

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I carmelize and freeze onions for onion soup. Onion carmelization is simple -- slice the onions, pile them in the slow cooker, put the lid on, turn the machine on, go away for 10-12 hours. I can fit 8 lbs of onions in my slow cooker which will make 3-4 batches of onion soup. I freeze the cooked onions in blocks in the freezer.

• mellyofthesouth
    11 years ago

If you really have a lot you could make the caramelized onion relish from small batch preserving. YUM.

• pqtex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I made a huge batch of the crockpot carmelized onions with some of the white onions. I'm going to freeze it in meal-size batches. I don't usually make onion soup, but it looks like it would make a good gravy or stew base.

I have the Small Batch cookbook, but haven't looked up the recipe for the onion relish. Would have to check the tested recipe against what I made, but probably can't use it for canning.

I also put 10 bags (1 cup each)of chopped red onions in the freezer.

The dehydrator has a batch going with red onions.

I still have my yellow onions to prep. I will probably store as many of those as I can, using knee high hose with a knot tied between each one. I hang them in my pantry. Last year they lasted for months. I ran out just about the time they were starting to get soft.

Thanks for all the advice.

• pqtex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried the crockpot carmelized onions tonight by adding it to sausage and potatoes. It was delicious. I will freeze this batch of carmelized onions because of the butter.

I am running out of room in the freezer, though, and would like to can the carmelized onions, but I don't want the taste of the relishes with vinegar. Are there any tested recipes or guidelines for canning carmelized onions?

If I carmelize them without butter (is that possible?), can I safely can them per the guidelines for canning onions?